Reload this Page >

Chicago to Gatlinburg

Search

Chicago to Gatlinburg

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 06:31 AM
Den

Chicago to Gatlinburg

I know this is a little late to be planning, but we are driving from Chicago to the Gatlinburg, TN area tomorrow and I'm trying to decide which interstates to take. Mapsonus shows the fastest route is by taking I-65 through Indiana. My father-in-law, however, suggests I-57 to Paducah and then east, to avoid heavy traffic. Indiana definitely looks faster, but I'm not familiar with the roads. Does anyone have suggestions who know what current traffic/construction situations are?
Thank you.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Ang

Wow! I just went from Chicago to Louisville, KY last weekend by car straight down I-65 through Indiana. This way is much faster and your problem will not be heavy traffic but road construction (except of course the heavey traffic leaving Chicago which can't be avoided either way!) Take the Chicago skyway to Indiana rather than 80-94 and cross over to I-65. After getting on 65 you will hit the frist set of road construction just south of Merrilville around crown Point Indiana (about 60 miles outside Chicago) this won't be that bad but be careful. The big traffic backup and road constuction will be through the Indianapolis area. Here is my tip to avoid it (it adds about 10 miles to your trip but is worth it) As you are entering the Indy area exit 65 to the 265 bypass loop around Indianapolis to avoid the TERRIBLE construction. Juut keep following signs that say to Louisville, Ky. the 265 bypass will then join back up with I-65 on the other (south) side of Indianapolis. You will hit minor road construction 1 more time about 10 miles before crossing over into KY but it won't be bad unless it is rush hour as I-65 is the main vein in and out of Louisville fron the Indiana suburbs so rush hour should be avoided. It may sound bad but really I-65 through Indiana is the quickest route. Anymore ?s, let me know, glad I could help.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 09:21 AM
Den

Thank you for your input. I appreciate your quick response. I think I'll take your advice and try Indiana.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 09:37 AM
Gretchen

Definitely do the Indiana road. East from Paducah is difficult. I take it you will hit I75 south to Knoxville adn then I40 east. Be sure to get on I640East north of Knoxville to miss downtown. But why are you going to Gatlinburg!!!

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Den

I know! I know! I've read about a hundred posts in the last couple of days about why one shouldn't go to Gatlinburg. We're actually visiting relatives near Crossville because we received a free 3-night stay at a hotel in G'burg. So we'll spent a night or two with them and a night or two camping. Probably just do Dollywood and maybe the aquarium for the kids. I'd like to squeeze in a couple of short hikes with the kids as well. We'll just try to heed the advice in some of those anti-G'burg posts and make the most of it.