Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Blue Ridge Parkway- showers? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/blue-ridge-parkway-showers-622328/)

gatorj Jun 9th, 2006 08:33 PM

Blue Ridge Parkway- showers?

My husband and I are taking our 2 daughters on a 5 day camping trip along the Blue Ridge Parkway between the Northern entrance (off I-64 in Virginia) and Asheville. I've read that there are no showers in the NPS campgrounds along the parkway, but I was wondering if there are any other places to get a shower (perhaps in the towns nearby the parkway?). I don't think I can go 5 full days without a shower. I've been thinking of getting a room for one night when we pass by Blowing Rock.

If there are any good non-NPS campgrounds nearby the parkway, please let me know. I'd also love to have any tips you can provide on easy hikes or fun things to do with a 3-year-old (and 13 year old) near this section of the parkway.

Thanks!

Pat2003 Jun 10th, 2006 02:25 AM

Mt. Pisgah area is a very short distance south from Asheville. It includes Pisgah Inn, campgrounds, picnic area. It is a spectacular destination right on Blue Ridge Parkway.

The daily camping fee for 2006 is $18 at Mt. Pisgah, which now has shower facilities. Some sites there can be reserved. For more information, visit www.ReserveUSA.com or call toll-free (877) 444-6777

For more information on shower facilities google on 'camping facilities with showers' in Blowing Rock, Boone, Linville Falls, Spruce Pine, Asheville.

As for easy hikes do search text here on this forum under Blue Ridge Parkway, Asheville, etc., Many generous posters shared their knowledge and details on hiking in the area. Further, IMO, if you stop at Visitor Centers along the parkway, for instance, at Linville Falls, Folk Art Center in Asheville, Pisgah Inn you get tons of suggestions from the rangers.

If you take route 276, located a couple miles south on the parkway from Mt. Pisgah campground, towards Brevard and stop at the Cradle of Forestry there are very easy walking paths which can be interested to both of your daughters. Continue farther down on this road and stop at the fish hatchery. Great fun for kids. If you google on cradle of forestry and fish hatchery in pisgah forest you should get lots of detailed information on both places. Personally I think that Arboretum in Asheville would be a great place to take kids for an easy hike, flowers, plants, birds, lunch.

Pat2003 Jun 10th, 2006 03:20 AM

www.cradleofforestry.org

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg08_Educa...shops/pg8c.htm

gatorj Jun 12th, 2006 09:02 PM

Thanks for the info, Pat! I'll try Googling for showers and taking a look around this forum.

Do you think Mount Airy, NC is worth a visit (we'll be heading back to our friend's house in Durham at the end of our trip)? I just finished reading a little article about Cheng and Eng Bunker (the "original" Siamese twins) in this month's National Geographic.

Pat2003 Jun 13th, 2006 04:56 AM

I'm sorry I cannot help you with Mount Airy.
One more thought on camping along Blue Ridge Parkway in campgrounds with showers. You should consider staying at Mt. Pisgah NPS campground since they do have shower facilities and because Asheville is on your list. It is a gorgeous area and very scenic drive to/frm Asheville. My husband and I watched sunrise one time from Pisgah Inn. It was such amazing spot to be there and so early in the morning. I understand your dilemma. I too have to have a shower after hiking. I like your idea of getting motel room somewhere. Consider Blowing Rock, Linville Falls or Spruce Pine. After that Pisgah campground with showers is the best location, IMO.

I already mentioned Arboretum in Asheville with nice hikes for 13 year old or walks for 3 year old. www.ncarboretum.org

I admire you for introducing your kids to outdoor activities in such early age. Have a great trip!