Blue Man Group in Orlando

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. If you've seen this show, what are your thoughts? I am debating if we should take my sons, ages 14 and 16 to see it. I think I'd like it, but they aren't terribly excited about plays and shows, and don't want to spend the $$ and vacation time if they won't find it worth-while.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 11:55 AM
yk

Assuming the Blue Man Group show is pretty much the same everywhere, I think your sons will enjoy it. It's high-energy and highly entertaining.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 04:24 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
karens, a friend took me for my birthday and was so excited about his surprise choice. The show was at an arena and I was VERY unimpressed. I think if I had seen it off-Broadway in a smaller venue, the experience would have been different. But, we were SO far back and they were just little blue blobs on the stage. Of course, we could watch on the screens, but the viewing would have better with a TV and DVD.

So, my caution would be the size of the venue - and how close you will be to the stage.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 05:21 PM

I have seen it in NYC with my then teen son. We loved it, it was a lot of fun. The intimacy of the theatre made the show top notch. My DH saw it in large venue [either Orlando or maybe Vegas] and it wasn't nearly as good.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 05:25 PM
yk

That's a good point about venue size, I hadn't thought about it. I saw it in the Charles Place House in Boston, which is also a small venue. If the venue in Orlando is large and you're all the way in the back, then it probably won't be much fun.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 05:36 PM

yk, I think the Boston and NYC venues are similar. The other locations are huge, like the Boston garden -- is that still there?
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 06:12 PM

I have seen Blue Man in Orlando. The venue is not particularly large; I don't think seeing the action will be a problem. Was it worth it? Probably once, but I don't think I'd go back. Your sons would probably like it--the younger folks seemed to "get" a lot more of it than I did.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 06:18 PM

Look at the seating charts on their website. By comparsion, Orlando is significantly bigger than NYC or Boston. Not the largest, but big enough to make a difference.

http://www.blueman.com
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 01:52 AM

I agree with points about the venue. We saw it in Boston. A lot of what I remember is how the audience was involved like the guys climbing over the seats to stare at different audience members. They had cameras in their suits so close-up facial expressions could be seen on a monitor.
But age 14 and 16 is the perfect age for Blue Man Group. We chaperoned a teen group. They loved it. But the tickets were a lot less back then. Your kids will probably get in the mood with the rest of the audience. But, given that your sons aren't particularly interested in shows, I certainly would consider another activity. Our DS loved classic car museums.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 07:22 PM

My husband and I saw it in Orlando and we thought that we would have seen better shows. However, we both said "if we had kids, then it would have been better." The show seems to gear more to the teenager crowd. So, maybe you should see it with your family!