Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Blue Hill or Bar Harbour Maine for cycling in the summer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a long weekend trip to Maine in July or early August. We would like to spend at least a day in Acadia (for hiking), and hope to do quite a lot of cycling. I have found what looks to be a nice B&B in Bar Harbour (The Bass Cottage). A friend who cycles often in Maine suggested Blue Hill, as there is less traffic and thus better (safer?) cycling. It looks so quaint from the photos on google and there is a pretty nice looking B&B there (The Blue Hill Inn), but certainly fewer choices for meals etc. Does anyone have any experience with either of these inns and/or cycling around Bar Harbour? I understand that you can rent mountain bikes for the carriage paths in Acadia but I think my husband would prefer road biking. We will have to rent bicycles either way.
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM

First, it's Bar Harbor, no "u".

You don't need mountain bikes for the carriage roads in Acadia, we rented regular bikes. I can't imagine a more scenic, peaceful place to bike.

~Liz
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 07:35 AM

the carriage trails in Acadia make great cycling. You can ride on the road if you want but I would think there is quite a bit of traffic (and non attentive drivers) on the roads at that time of year.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 07:59 AM

Bar Harbor and Acadia are great places for cycling, though the roads in the park will be safer than the public roads, in general.

We don't happen to know Bass Cottage (though we've heard good things). We do know Blue Hill Inn (the innkeeper, Sarah, is wonderful) and it is an excellent choice. Their web site indicates that there are a number of good choices for lunch and dinner.

Blue Hill is a lovely village on the harbor, and there are other places - less commonly explored than Bar Harbor - also on the Blue Hill peninsula. And, of course, Bar Harbor and its attractions are only a short drive away.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. BrewsterHouseBB it is nice to have an endorsement for the Blue Hill Inn. Do you know how it will be to cycle from Bar Harbor in to Acadia (road/traffic wise)? I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to cycling with traffic. Still finding it a tough call but think I am leaning toward staying in the Blue Hill peninsula with a day trip in to Acadia to hike.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 03:13 PM

There are NO motorized vehicles on the carriage roads- that's why it's such a good idea. The bike rental places will rent you a holder for the bikes to take them to the start of your ride.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 08:14 AM

the entrance to Acadia is right next to Bar harbor. No problem at all to cycle it
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 07:32 AM

We rented bikes close to the entrance to Acadia so there was little riding with traffic. Once inside the park, there are no cars. It was delightful! If you get hungry on your ride, be sure to ride to Jordan Pond House for their delicious popovers.
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 07:33 AM

I should have said, once inside the park on the carriage trails, there are no cars.
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions - appreciate any others for the area since it is our first time to Maine. The good news is that it all sounds so good I think I have talked my husband into a week instead of a long weekend so that we can do more!
Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 01:24 PM

The bikes they rent, at least when we were there 4 or 5 years ago were hybrid, not as heavy as mountain bikes, but they have more substantial wheels for the crushed grant surface of the carriage trails. The roads, not trails, are rather narrow with lots of park buses on them. I do not remember there being a wide bike lane. If you want to ride on the roads in a less traveled area then take the ferry over to the Schoodic Point area of the park. There is a one way loop road that goes around the peninsula. Where the ferry drops you off there is a small grocery store and cafe. Have fun!