blue-eyed Indians who spoke Welch?

Old Oct 8th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blue-eyed Indians who spoke Welch?

Not all that travel related, but there are some smart people on this site.

I was watching a Ken Burns film on Lewis & Clark on PBS last night. Around 1800 Thomas Jefferson was reading a book that mentions somewhere in the US (prob. not in the LA purchase area) were blue-eyed Indians who spoke Welch. And it was a start for his Journey of Discovery and sending off Lewis & Clark.

Huh? What? Did I miss a day in American history class? Who were these people? Did the Welch arrive before Columbus (and yes, I do realize Columbus wasn't the first here).

In North Carolina history class waaaay back in high school, there was talk about what happend to Virginia Dare (first English child born in US) and the rest of the first settlers. One theory was they joined up with a local tribe. but that was one of many theories, and that group didn't speak Welch.

So, who are the blue-eyed Indians who spoke Welch?
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 07:04 AM

Try this link:

http://www.britannia.com/wales/whist31.html

btw - it's Welsh, not Welch...
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 07:47 AM

Hmmm - wasn't there also a blue eyed, fair haired tribe in northern Japan? Interesting.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Diana. I never knew the Welsh were explorers.

Maybe I'll celebrate Madoc day instead of Columbus day Monday.

So Welch=juice and Welsh=people?

I read "1421: The year China discovered the world" earlier this year. A number of arguments with good evidence showing how the Chinese sailed the world long before the Europeans.

- ncgrrl
(the computer nerd because that major required the least amount of hunanities)
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

(the computer nerd because that major required the least amount of huManities)

yikes, at least there's not a spelling test for the forum
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 08:27 AM

Well if you read "1421: The Year China Discovered the World," you probably DID encounter a lot of Hunanities.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Very interesting and compelling ideas you are ruminating over on a cloudy North Carolina Wednesday!
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 09:01 AM

Interesting to learn that Alabama was "discovered" hundreds of years before Virginia, Massachusetts or Florida.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Good one Diana.

I've learned someting today about my home country I never knew. It is amazing what all I didn't learn in school. Ok, I wasn't the best student and I didn't study as much as I should have, but you would think this would have been mentioned at sometime.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 11:00 AM
cd

While visiting Crazy Horse Memorial in August I purchased a book from their book store "Mitakuye Oyasin, We Are All Related" America before Columbus based on the oral history of 33 tribes. by Dr. A.C. Ross. He is of the Dakata tribe and in his research he found that oral tradition told of the Indians coming from an island in the east. His theory is that it could be the lost island of Atlantis.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 12:45 PM
LN

This made for an interesting day today gals. Thanks for sharing that information.

We're also very fond of the hunanities - chicken, shrimp, and beef hunan that is.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 12:59 PM

It's my understanding that there were/was an indigenous people in japan when the folks who were ancestors of the current Japanese culture arrived. I'm also told that there land was more or less confiscated and they were herded onto reservations, much as American Indians were. Intriguing parallel to American history but one that I never see mentioned.

The other historical quirk if it may called that is the reputed origins of much of the reddish hair, freckles and green eyes that appear in some segment of the poulation in Jamaica. Supposedly (I've never been able to verfiy this), Oliver Cromwell sold tens of thousands of Irish women into slavery in the West Indies during his reign of terror and this is the source from which these characteristics originate.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 01:05 PM

Was St. Brendan Welsh or Irish? There are stories of him sailing west and discovering a new land. Apparently the stories were discounted because they also included fanciful seamonsters and the like.