Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Block Island or Newport (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/block-island-or-newport-783966/)

goodoggy May 11th, 2009 06:28 AM

Block Island or Newport

Heading to Narraganset Rhode Island for a couple nights. Looking to do a day trip to either Newport or Block Island, any suggestions? I have never been to either. We are hoping for a nice day to be able to walk around enjoy the views, local restaurants and shops. I know our hotel is located near the ferry. Thanks!

wyatt92 May 11th, 2009 06:32 AM

I would choose Newport. Easier to get to and it's simply beautiful. Lots and lots of shops restaurants and great scenery. I'd recommend doing the Cliff Walk and a tour of the Breakers mansion, if that interests you.

goodoggy May 11th, 2009 06:38 AM

thanks wyatt! Any reccomendation on a good lunch spot? Something beachy-casual with a good view and cold drinks!

wyatt92 May 11th, 2009 07:04 AM

One idea for lunch is the Clark Cooke House on Bannister's Wharf. They have an outdoor patio and you can watch the boats.

emalloy May 11th, 2009 07:35 AM

They are so different, Newport has shops, restaurants, and the mansions as mentioned above. With block you get a ferry ride, nice beaches, some shopping and restaurants, nature, good bike riding, nice place to relax. What would make you happy?

nanecam May 11th, 2009 07:49 AM

We've been to Narraganset several times and done both day trips.

It really depends on how you want to spend the day. Newport sounds more like what you want: walk around, enjoy the very nice shops and restaurants, marvel at the boats in the harbor and see the amazing mansions. I don't have any restaurant advice here but there are lots to choose from. The cliff walk is really neat.

If you want to get a New England island seashore experience -- smell the salt air, swim on really nice beaches, have a nice lunch, do some shops, bike around a very beautiful, natural island, kayak on a salt pond -- Block is perfect. You can do that during your day trip there, have a drink on the ferry on the way back and crash when you get back to your hotel. Personally, I'm more of an outdoorsy person. I love Block Island and wouldn't miss the chance to go. We usually go with a big group and rendezvous for lunch on the porch at the Beachhead Tavern overlooking the ocean.

Either way, both are great trips.

Also -- if you're into fried clams, there's a really decent clam shack just past the towers in Narraganset. Yum.

BeachGirl247 May 11th, 2009 07:58 AM

I vote for Newport as well. We enjoyed a few restaurants at the wharf:

Clark Cooke House -- excellent New England clam chowder (better than the Black Pearl's in my opinion). Some seating has water views but not all.

The Landing -- excellent fish entrees. Patio is covered and by the marina.

*22 Bowen's Wine Bar & Grill -- has outside seating next to the water. My choice if you want casual, covered dining and being right by the water and along the shops, too. Menu had choices of salads, fish, and sandwiches.

Black Pearl -- patio has limited menu (burgers, chowder, etc). We didn't enjoy the patio food but it is by the water. Inside dining offers a nicer menu which I have heard good things about.

I also suggest picking one of the mansions to tour. The Breakers is a must and should only take about an hour fifteen to tour.

Another restaurant with a great view is Castle Hill Inn. It is perched on a hill overlooking the water with lots of adirondack chairs for watching all the sailboats go by while sipping on a cocktail. You can also sit on the patio for dining as well but call ahead for a reservation as it is a popular spot. You'll need a car or cab to get there from the wharf.

goodoggy May 12th, 2009 02:46 AM

Thanks for the reccomendations- I think we will stick with Newport for the day!

Cringo May 12th, 2009 07:07 AM

Agree with wyatt92 -- Newport, Cliff Walk, Breakers.

sobster May 12th, 2009 06:47 PM

Eat lunch at Castle HIll.

goodoggy May 14th, 2009 04:51 AM

Does anyone know anything about Georges Restaurant in Narraganset?

EmilyC May 14th, 2009 04:54 AM

yes, it does not enjoy a particularly good reputation. Instead, try Charlie O's - a local spot for good fish and italian choices.

goodoggy May 14th, 2009 04:55 AM

thank you

goodoggy May 14th, 2009 10:11 AM

After dinner in Narraganset on Sat night- we will probably want to head to a place for drinks and possibly some entertainment (band, dj, karaoke) any suggestions

EmilyC May 15th, 2009 04:50 AM

The Coast Guard house has a dj on Saturday nites. Also, the nearby Trio restaurant has a lively bar scene

Nancy_W May 30th, 2009 01:21 PM

If you do choose to go to Newport, the brunch at Castle Hill on Sunday is great. You will need to make reservations. There is a room that is all windows, so you will have a wonderful view of the bridge and the sailboats. There are regattas on the weekends. You can then drive along the coast and visit the mansions.