Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Black Hills: HI Express Hill City vs. HI Express Keystone Any Thoughts Appreciated (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/black-hills-hi-express-hill-city-vs-hi-express-keystone-any-thoughts-appreciated-310879/)

Dukey Feb 25th, 2008 03:04 AM

Black Hills: HI Express Hill City vs. HI Express Keystone Any Thoughts Appreciated

We'll be in the Black Hills for three-four nights later in the year and are trying to decide between these two places to stay. Both get very good reviews on TripAdvisor and both are apparently located "within walking distance" to each town's "downtown" section.

We'll be doing the usual sites as well as a performance of the "Passion Play."

We have, for various reasons, ruled out staying IN Custer State Park.

Any comments pro or con would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BarbaraS Feb 25th, 2008 04:02 AM

I was deciding between those two hotels as well on our trip a couple of years ago. I finally went with HI Express Hill City because it was cheaper, and I was very pleased with my decision. Although it is a very typical HI Express, it was fairly new and very clean. It seemed to me that it didn't really matter which town you chose to stay in, you were going to be doing a lot of driving anyway.

Dukey Feb 25th, 2008 04:17 AM

Thanks, Barbara for your reply.

I have nothing against either town and already know that there are a lot of "tourist-oriented" establishments in both of them. I've already figured we are going to be driving all over the place trying to fit everything in.

I mostly want somewhere there will be plenty of parking and a clean decent place to stay.

I've read all the reviews of both establishments to include the ones about "thin walls" and hearing "personal functions" going on; rude desk clerks, being told to park "in the back" because of the Sturgis rally and bikes being given preference, etc. It is almost easier to pick a hotel in Paris but perhaps I'm getting overwrought for nothing!

LHS Feb 25th, 2008 06:24 AM

Hill City is more convenient for a drive to Spearfish for the Passion Play. Other than that, both towns are centrally located in the Black Hills.

The Sturgis Rally is Aug 2-10, if you avoid those dates, you shouldn't have hotel parking issues.

Dukey Feb 25th, 2008 07:38 AM

LHS, thank you for your reply.

floridakathleen Feb 25th, 2008 08:24 AM

Having done the Sturgis rally in the past and going again this year, I can tell you that there will be motorcycles for at least a couple of weeks before and after the actual rally dates, but it shouldn't be a problem.
If you are going around Rally time, most hotels have minimum stays which could be a problem.
Last year our hotel required a 5 night mimimum.

Dukey Mar 3rd, 2008 03:47 AM

I actually have a motorcycle in my garage so I understand the whole "Sturgis" thing..both great and not so great aspects.

All the comments are appreciated. We will be there well before the Sturgis gathering and planning on at least four nights.