Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Black Canyon of Gunnison in winter (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/black-canyon-of-gunnison-in-winter-505262/)

Stephie Feb 19th, 2005 07:48 AM

Black Canyon of Gunnison in winter

Hi, Wondered if it would be worthwhile to stay in Gunninson for a night or two and if it's possible to visit the BC of the G in March (possible snow coverage in the area.) We'll be heading to Crested Butte to ski, but want to do something nearby for a day or two before or after the ski trip. I realize hiking would probably be out of the question, but just wondered what to do fairly nearby. We'll be driving in from the East side of Colorado, probably thru Col. Springs, have already done most things of interest there.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks!

justme22 Feb 19th, 2005 07:02 PM

although the BC/G is neat to see, there are not really views as you drive you have to park the car and take little trails, i was there in Nov. and there was snow then, and if you do that drive and a storm comes up (like it did for me!) it is NOT fun the driving in snow there can be dangerous, hard to see the edge of the road and lots of those roads can be challenging in the snow. Colorado national monument is out of the way but has some interesting hiking. you stay in Grand Junction for that . have fun.

BeanMan Feb 19th, 2005 08:42 PM

Stephie,

I say go for it. My Wife and i went cross country skiing 2 weeks ago at the Black Canyon. In the Winter you can only drive to the visitors center. The road is closed from there on. But you can stop at the Tomichi overlook and get some pretty nice views there. From the visitors center you can take a very short walk of about 200 yards and look straight down into the bottom as well as up and down the canyon. The ski touring is very flat but pleasant as it is on top of the road grade, a beginner could handle it easily. Whether or nor there is snow when you come will depend on how late in March and what the weather is like. The alitude is only 7500' so snow will melt early there. The North Rim is closed that time of year. Don't worry about snow on the road, it is not a steep road and is plowed. Unless you are in the middle of a storm you should have no problem.

BeanMan

Stephie May 31st, 2005 07:48 PM

Just got to thinking about our trip in March and wanted to report that we DID go to the Black Canyon, and it was so worth it. The drive from Gunnison was so beautiful, the river along the highway was frozen and the ice had cracked in places looking like huge floating icebergs - so cool. The Canyon is breathtaking, and the visitors center WAS open. The employees there were so knowledgeable and forthcoming with information and intersting tidbits, that it was worth every moment and gallon of gas. There was a little snow on the road to the Canyon, but nothing troublesome.