Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Birthday gift for boyfriend- Long weekend in the Hamptons in Sept. Need advice. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/birthday-gift-for-boyfriend-long-weekend-in-the-hamptons-in-sept-need-advice-462781/)

queenkatez Jul 27th, 2004 08:03 AM

Birthday gift for boyfriend- Long weekend in the Hamptons in Sept. Need advice.

Hi,
I'd like to take my boyfriend to the Hamptons in late September for a weekend stay. It's for his birthday.
I am open to any part of the Hamptons or Montauk. We can stay either at a motel type establishment or a B&B. But I would definitely like to be very close to the beach.
My maximum budget would be no more than $250 a night (I have to rule out J. Harper Poor and Millhouse Inn, they both start at $350 for weekend stays in September).
Can anyone recommend a place to stay? We don't want to be too close to clubs or bars. But don't mind being within walking distance from nice restaurants and shops.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SueDoc Jul 27th, 2004 10:05 AM

I am actually leaving tomorrow to stay at the 1770 House in E. Hampton. I stayed there several years ago when they were under different ownership. They have since remodeld and I hear it is very nice. They are located on the main street but a couple of blocks from town. Their rates are over $250 in the summer but according to the website, it looks like they go down in the fall (whenever that starts). Check it out.
http://www.1770house.com/index.htm

mclaurie Jul 27th, 2004 11:25 AM

If you're not familiar with the options in the area, a generalization is places on/near the beach are motel type places while b & bs & inns are usually in or just outside a town. Be aware that the last weekend in Sept (24-25) is the end of the Jewish New Year celebration and will be busy and possibly crowded. The Jewish Center of the Hamptons sits just at the entrance to East Hampton town so many of the inns like the 1770 House, J Harper Poor, the Maidstone Arms, the Hedges Inn, the Huntting Inn etc. that are right near there may already be booked anyway.

If you don't mind being as far out as Montauk, have a look at the Panoramic View which is on the beach.
http://www.panoramicview.com/

You might also check the Bath & Tennis Club in Westhampton Beach. It's very nice, on the beach too. While I haven't seen the rooms there, it's the only really luxurious feeling place in the area right on a swimmable beach. http://www.bathandtennis.com/

There are also a number of places across from the beach in Montauk. Lenhart's Cottages is one that has fireplaces which might be nice at that time of year. It's not at fancy but I think each cottage has a separate bedroom, sitting/dining/kitchen, outdoor grill and is across the street from the beach. I don't think they have a website but here's one with basic info and some other listings in Montauk

http://www.onmontauk.com/html/lodging/oldmontauk.asp

There are some places in Sag Harbor but there you would be near bay beaches not the ocean. The American Hotel is a historic building in town but a short walk to the water (marina). The Sag Harbor Inn is around the corner and sits on the water but again, it's a marina although there are bay beaches nearby.

queenkatez Jul 27th, 2004 12:04 PM

Thanks for your help mclaurie.

cindymal Jul 27th, 2004 06:59 PM

Check out the panoramic.it is great and all rooms have an ocean view,ocean Dunes in amagansett,also check out montaukchamber.com.Also i agree sag harbor is agreat town socheck out sagharbor.com.

queenkatez Jul 28th, 2004 10:04 AM

Hi,
I have narrowed down my accommodations to the following:

Mainstay Inn: Southampton
A Butler's Manor: Southampton
Bassett House: Easthampton
Grassmere Inn: Westhampton
Easthampton Village B&B

Which one would you choose, and why?

Thanks so much for your help.

queenkatez Jul 29th, 2004 07:30 AM

ttt

mclaurie Jul 29th, 2004 10:54 AM

Out of your list I would pick A Butler's Manor <b>for myself</b> merely because it gets such rave reviews on tripadvisor and elsewhere in terms of service and I think the idea of an ex-butler as my host would be fun.

But based on your request to be &quot;very close to the beach,&quot; none of these really fits the bill (although I've not been to or inside any of the ones you've chosen, I know where they all are except the one in Westhampton.) Also, the only one that's really in close walking distance to a town (again, except the Westhampton one which I don't know) is the East Hampton Village b &amp; b which doesn't look all that exciting in the photos I checked on the web. I assume you'll have a car though, so walking to shops &amp; restaurants isn't mandatory, right??

Based on other posts of yours I've read here, I know you're in your mid 20's and assume boyfriend is around the same. It also seems you really love the beach so I wonder why you haven't chosen one of the beachier places. I worry (perhaps without reason) that A Butler's Manor or the Mainstay (both of which my friend says are nice) may be too &quot;stuffy&quot; for you (for lack of a better word) and not private enough.

There is a b &amp; b in East Hampton on Church St. that I'm posting contact info for. I don't know what it's like since it has relatively new owners, but I was inside this house a while ago and the guest rooms are all large and they all have jacuzzis. I don't know how the owners have furnished it or how they are as hosts which can make or break a weekend. It is not far from the East Hampton train station. You might check it out.

ETHEL AND FRANK WYSS
37 Church Street
(631) 324-1669
Guest House / Bed &amp; Breakfast

Also, I've never mentioned it here for fear of being deemed &quot;advertising&quot; but my friend runs a b &amp; b in Southampton which is in town and near the train station. You can look at it on
countrylivingfarmhouse.com

But bottom line, in your shoes, I wouldn't pick a b&amp;b for this trip assuming you want some romance. I'd stay at a motel/condo type place <i>on</i> the beach in East Hampton, Amagansett or Montauk where you have privacy and can walk out the door and stick your feet in sand.

Good luck!!

queenkatez Jul 29th, 2004 12:03 PM

mclaurie,
thank you very much for all your help. I will look into your recommendations.

Thanks,
Katie

queenkatez Jul 29th, 2004 12:20 PM

Mclaurie,
I'm stuck between a b&amp;b and a motel right on the beach.
I think my boyfriend would really like the atmosphere of a b&amp;b (cozy, great furnishings, homey atmosphere).But I know he would also love to be close to the water.
I've never stayed at a motel in the Hamptons or Montauk but it seems like they wouldn't be any different than a motel somewhere else. To me, I guess when I hear &quot;motel&quot;, I think of an establishment that is subpar to a nice hotel (in terms of amenities and accommodations). Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You mentioned the &quot;Panoramic&quot;. What do you think of their facilities?
Are there any Easthampton motels that you can recommend (by the beach)?
I can spend about $250-$275/nt. Hopefully, because we won't be there during high-season, we will be able to get a nice room for that price.
Even though we'll be out and about most of the time, I know he would be thrilled to have a really nice room.

Thanks,
Katie

mclaurie Jul 29th, 2004 04:37 PM

It's true the motels are not luxurious. For that matter many of the <i>fancy</i> places (like Gurney's Inn) are not luxurious. But there is something to be said for an ocean view, a patio or balcony with views of the ocean and stepping outside your room and being on the beach. Is that like a motel anywhere? Some of the motels also have kitchen facilities and a separate seating area from the bedroom. The furnishings may not be very luxurious but it's your own space.

Compare this to the b &amp; bs where you can either sit in your bedroom with no view, or, if you're lucky, sit in the living room or garden of the house. Do you realize in the Hamptons a b &amp; b is basically staying in someone's home, albeit a nice, maybe large one? I think what you may want is an Inn-somewhat less personal, a bit larger, nice furnishings but private. I've poured over all the websites and because it's so outrageously expensive, all the inns seem to be above your budget at that time.

Since you've posted about the possibility of moving just to get closer to the beach, I thought that's what you'd prefer. I agree that staying in a motel that's not on the beach may not make sense but Panoramic View, Ocean Beach Resorts and White Sands resorts are all on the beach. Have a look at this article
http://www.newyorkmetro.com/travel/g...mptonsinns.htm
I also think Gansett Manor may be worth a look despite not being on the beach.

If you want to stick to your last selections, I think Mainstay is a prettier place in a nicer spot but Butlers Manor has better service.

If you want to email me directly go ahead at [email protected]