Anybody eat at Nick's Seafood Pavilion

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2003, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in Yorktown, VA? We're gonna be in Williamsburg next week & wondering if it's worth it to go to Nick's. Have heard raves about it (from in-laws, though, so who knows?) and some not so good reviews on another site. We were thinking about going for lunch instead of dinner, since we'll have our 16 mos. old with us...
Old May 21st, 2003, 11:24 AM

We ate there and didn't get the hype. It's very kitschy. Think "they haven't changed the decor since 1966." The waitresses wear these crazy get-ups. But that will only get you so far. It is definitely a fried fish/iceburg lettuce salad kinda' place. We just didn't think it was all that.
Old May 21st, 2003, 11:29 AM
E

Well, I agree with lisettemac on everything except the quality of the food. Yes, the decor is kitsch-to-the-max, as are the waiters' and waitresses' "getups", and the service isn't formal. But, I like the food very much: it's not at all trendy, fusion, grilled-ahi-tuna type stuff. It's old-fashioned crab-sauteed-in-butter, and lovely crabcakes, and yes, delicious, fresh-fried seafood, which I find nothing at all wrong with! So I would recommend it--it's a throwback, but a great one!
Old May 21st, 2003, 11:34 AM
E

Btw, York County developed a plan a year or two ago to rehab the entire riverfront area, including Nick's. The idea was to install walking paths, landscaping, etc. to take advantage of the water views. Wonder what ever became of those plans...victims of the budget crisis, probably.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 07:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The drive out to Yorktown on the parkway is lovely. Instead of going to Nick's, which I was never thrilled by, you can get Cheese Shop sandwiches in Williamsburg and stop for a picnic at one of the beaches on the York River. Or you could go across the bridge to Gloucester (it would only be another 10 minutes) to Rivers Inn. Sit in the screened porch and look out at the boats. There are other restaurants in Yorktown. The Pub is probably not the best family place. There is another on the water that I have not tried.