Reload this Page >

Lake Tahoe - in one day

Search

Lake Tahoe - in one day

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 10:14 PM
Su Yeong Kim

Lake Tahoe - in one day

I am planning to make a day trip to Lake Tahoe/Reno area for one day during Labor Day weekend. I'm not really into camping and don't particularly enjoy gambling. Is there anything else I can do, or do you think it's not worth my time to go out there? Any suggestions?

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 06:44 AM
Sandra

If you are interested in aa nature-type drive, I would suggest driving around Lake Tahoe. It is one big circle and you will see some breathtaking views. Pack a picnic lunch, take your camera and binoculars and enjoy the scenery. There are pull-offs from the road where you can stop to just gaze. There are a few rest areas for rest room facilities and it's just a beautiful sight. I hope to get there again some day.

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 02:05 PM
judy

Lake Tahoe is the most beautiful spot in the country IMHO. Of course, I haven't been everywhere! I would suggest the same thing the first responder did -drive around the lake -we always do that when we're there -once or twice a year for 4 or 5 years (it's been three years since we've been there now). I would definitely go there -of course, I like to gamble, too, and we always stayed at Harvey's in South Lake Tahoe...There is also a boat trip which is nice and lasts a couple of hours, but I really liked the drive around the lake - Emerald Bay, I think it's called is particularly pretty... Have fun...

Old Aug 21st, 1998, 06:41 AM
TahoeTom

I would skip Reno. Driving around Lake Tahoe is a great idea. I would also take one of the boat tours from South Lake Tahoe. The whole area will be very crowded on the labor Day weekend.

Old Aug 21st, 1998, 12:58 PM
Erni Hirsch

I agree, driving around the lake is special. There are so many places you want to stop along the way. One of my favorite is a easy walk down to an old estate Vikingsholm (I believe that is the name) where you are in for a treat if you take the tour. The walk back up is not quite as easy but doable. A little farther on, there are some old houses which offer a tour led by guides in period attire who act as if they were living there.
A short walk from the visitors center is a fish exhibition where you can observe the stream through a glass wall. There is also a bridge where you can feed fish, some opportunities to raft or tube and much more. Its been a few years but we used to have breakfast hayride at the Ponderosa Ranch along the way, lunch on the lake and spend a whole day exploring. Have fun.