Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Birthday dinner for my 16 yr old daughter in LA (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/birthday-dinner-for-my-16-yr-old-daughter-in-la-314971/)

Lindsey May 8th, 2003 03:19 PM

Birthday dinner for my 16 yr old daughter in LA

We are going to be in LA for my daughter's 16th birthday. Staying at Four Seasons Beverly Hills. Trying to decide where we can go for dinner on the big night that would be fun and "cool" for a 16 yr old. (Will also have her 10 yr sister with us.)

House of Blues was one thought. Any others?

Surfergirl May 8th, 2003 06:04 PM

The House of Blues would be good, depending on who's playing that night (I think the website is hob.com). Right around the corner from your hotel, in actual WALKING distance, is the Hard Rock. If she likes music and eats, you might also consider the Key Club (again, depending on who's playing) up on the strip, which serves dinner on the upper level. If she's into heavy metal, the Rainbow is having it's 30 year anniversary, and they serve surprisingly good pizza. It's next door to the Roxy (also on the strip), which I generally stay away from because they moved some time ago from alternative rock to heavy metal (although Ian McCulloch of Echo & the Bunnymen fame is playing there on 5/28 with at least part of his group, and at $20 a ticket, that ain't bad!).
Westwood Village is another great area for her age, because you have all of the UCLA students hang out there. She'd probably like BJ's, which is next to the Village Theatre (good deep dish pizza and good micro brewery ales for the parents).
Heading West towards Santa Monica, Lush opened not so long ago on Wilshire, although I haven't been so can't vouch for the atmosphere or food; Rebecca's at Ocean is always packed and loud, and teens seem to enjoy that. Oh, and El Cholo's at Wilshire and 10th is another fun spot.

Lindsey May 9th, 2003 12:16 AM

Thanks for the great suggestions. HOB has not yet posted their line-up for that night, so we will keep on eye on the website. Hollywood Bowl has Etta James that night, which I would love, but my kids would hate. I will check if Key Club has a website. And if all else fails, Hard Rock is a good backup.
Thanks again!

rjw_lgb_ca May 9th, 2003 06:58 AM

I would have to put my vote in against the Hard Rock. It has never struck me as much of anything other than a loud, memorabilia-festooned Denny's. HOB would be fine, I suppose, although it's a little hokey.

El Cholo in Santa Monica is a bit of an offbeat choice, but I love the place-- tasty Mexican food, fun property. Call to see if they'll have mariachi birthday wishes for her (ahh, a good chorus of "Las mañanitas" is so much fun during dinner!).

Westwood Village would be fun. It's a good walking area. Santa Monica would be even better-- the Third Street Promenade is great for walking and people-watching. A cool place right on the Promenade is Monsoon-- good grub, Asian-Polynesian decor, wonderful for special dinners. Border Grill is just off the Promenade (Fourth Street)-- Mexican-inspired California cuisine, in a restaurant owned by those celeb chefs the "Hot Tamales"; you may even see them roaming the room (although I see them more often at the Wednesday Farmer's Market here in SM).

How about going the luxury route? If the 10-year-old can take the fou-fou, maybe go to Spago in BH. Again, call ahead and see if they can do something a bit special for her....

Deborah May 9th, 2003 09:35 AM

I'm not sure when you are coming, but the Lucky Strikes Lanes opens on 5/22 at the Highland and Hollywood complex. Here is the website:

http://www.hollywoodandhighland.com/home.html website.

There are also restaurants there.

I would also recommend CityWalk at Universal. They have Jillians Hi Life Bowling. There is also a Hard Rock there, so you could eat there and then go bowling!! Much more fun than just sitting at a restaurant.

Here's the website for CityWalk:

http://www.citywalkhollywood.com/

Enjoy your stay here in LA.

mdv May 9th, 2003 10:00 AM

I like El Cholo, too. Agree that Hard Rock is nothing exciting.

DreamingOfItaly May 9th, 2003 10:15 AM

I have to agree with rjw_lgb_ca on many accounts. Don't do Hard Rock ... it's in every city and not that exciting. Border Grill in Santa Monica is great and Spago in Beverly Hills would be FABULOUS!

Deborah May 9th, 2003 10:49 AM

I also agree the Hard Rock is nothing fancy for dinner, but it is fun up at CityWalk. I would say pick one of the other restaurants up there and then go bowling. If it's a fancy dining experience you want, maybe try The Ivy on Robertson. Lots of celebrities eat there. I could give other restaurants, but be more specific if it's "fun" or just dinner.

Mommar May 9th, 2003 11:27 AM

Totally agree; avoid Hard Rock, you probably have one at home. What about Asia de Cuba? Fun and chic, asian-fusion food served family style. Not cheap but in same hotel as famous celeb-hangout Sky Bar. On Sunset Blvd with awesome city lights views. Just a thought, but it's not a cheap place.

Surfergirl May 10th, 2003 08:10 AM

I'm not terribly fond of the Hard Rock either, but 16 year olds seem to like it.

I also forgot mentioning the Greek Theatre, again, depending on who's playing. I think the website is greektheatrela.com or greektheaterla.com.