Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Biloxi Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/biloxi-report-281993/)

Felschurch Jan 14th, 2008 12:10 PM

Biloxi Report

We did an overnighter to Biloxi Sat night. Started with lunch in Ocean Springs at the Bayview Restaurant. This was a very pleasant surprise--very nice lunch. OS is really back from the storm--good for a couple hours shopping. We added to our Walter Anderson collection--our house is beginning to look like a museum!
Stayed at the Beau Rivage on a special--asked for a particular room situation and got it but it was too low for a good view so we asked to change and got a great room higher!! Always ask for the end of the hall rooms above 11--these have two sets of windows and are larger. The package had show tickets -Balagan--good entertainment. No gambling for us.
Ate at Mary Mahoney's--( $25 -37 entrees) across the street-been very satified in the past--not so this time!!. My prime rib and baked potato were not hot and I sent them back and ate nothing. My wife had an adequate meal. Additionally we were rushed rushed--they were short of tables because some rooms were being re-floored. I will not return there. (Hard Rock has a Ruth's Chris).
We love the BR and will return in the fall!!

bradshawgirl Jan 25th, 2008 05:43 PM

So glad you enjoyed Biloxi! The coast is coming back, slowly and surely.

Sorry to hear about Mary Mahoney's, though. I haven't eaten there since the storm, but I used to LOVE it.

321sister Mar 5th, 2008 01:05 AM

The B.R. is a great hotel. I go to Biloxi every 3 months.2 free nites B.R. 3 free at the grand, not quite as good but ok. I have also stayed at the isle and i was happy with the room. I will try the Bayview this trip. sister

palmettoprincess Sep 17th, 2008 05:33 PM

I'm defending Mary's honor. Ate there for supper and lunch this week. Best crab cakes ever! Just ate off the appetizer menu so I could save room for bread pudding. The lunch special is great. $14 for a salad, an entree (I had a shrimp and crab linginee baked in a au gratin crust), two veggies and of course bread pudding.

Connie Sep 18th, 2008 11:11 AM

I don't remember if it was Biloxi or Gulfport since they are so close but I remember there being a long row of older, lovely homes. Did they get wiped out from Katrina or are they still there?

cheryllj Sep 18th, 2008 03:11 PM

Connie: Virtually all of the old homes right along the beach on highway 90 were destroyed, or mostly so, in both Biloxi and Gulfport.

Mary Mahoney's is back, but getting a lot of mixed reviews since the reopening. It's a MS landmark, though, and a historic building that survived the storm, so well worth a visit imho.

And Felschurch: I love Walter Anderson too! My house is also starting to look like an Anderson museum. I love the hand-colored prints they sell at the WA store in Ocean Springs, at the train depot.

palmettoprincess Sep 26th, 2016 06:32 PM

So funny. I'm in Biloxi now. I thought I would look it up to see what ideas others had (beyond gambling) and low and behold I contributed to this thread eight years ago. Time flies.