Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Billy Joel's "Movin' Out" on Broadway is sold out...now what?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Ted

If you all can stomach one more question about Broadway plays....
I wanted to see Movin' Out (we're big Billy Joel fans) during Xmas/New Years. The performances are sold out. Any ideas where I can find tickets at a reasonable (above face value) amount, or any suggestions for a back up musical/play? I'm willing to pay more than face value (say 15-20% but no more)for decent orchestra or front mezzanine seats.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 07:29 PM
SEH

Ted, have you looked at eBay? There have been some good buys on even popular shows like "Movin' Out".

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 07:32 PM
xxx

Count yourself lucky. It isn't a "Broadway play" by the way. It is a dance recital with great music.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Ted

Thanks for the ebay suggestion. I tend to forget that they sell lots of theater tickets.(I bought my tennis racket on ebay...show's you where my head is at). I just read another posting which touted ebay as well. I'll go brouse there. Yes, I know that it is primarily about the music and the dance....fine with me. In case I strike out, any other suggestions for a music loving couple in their 40's? Considering Dance of the Vampire perhaps. Thanks, Ted

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 08:11 PM
lou

If you're willing to take a chance and see nothing that night, count your losses and have a great dinner somewhere....camp out at the box office and see if house or company seats are released......they will be the best seats....but alas they may be taken.
GL

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Martha

Ted, perhaps you found tickets or made other arrangements but for what it's worth, I just saw tickets for 1/1/03 on ebay for Movin Out this morning. They're front row center tickets at a reasonable price as well. If you're still looking...you didn't mention your exact dates, there could be other dates?

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Jack

why not try looking into something good at Lincoln Center? The set design of any opera or ballet far exceeds the quality you will find on Bway. That has been my experience anyway but I hate musicals. Good Luck.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 10:45 AM
x

I guess y'all know that the lead dancer was killed in a motorcycle accident over the weekend. Don't know what effect that'll have on tickets, but keep that in mind when buying.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Carolee

How SAD!! No, I live in California and hadn't heard about this. We're still looking forward to seeing this next month. Hopefully, his replacement will also be talented. My brother-in-law saw this production and raved about it.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 12:21 PM
sandi

Lead dancer of Movin' Out? In a motorcycle accident? No, I hadnt heard! I saw the play just Saturday afternoon, although there were two casts, they said. When was the accident? How tragic!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 12:24 PM
tommy

Accident was on Friday. Obituary in Monday NYT. But because the dancing is so intense in this show there are two casts - one for matinees and one for evening performances. Not sure which he was in, but there was obviously an available replacement. The show must go on!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 12:27 PM
sandi

this is a photo and brief caption. seems the accident was friday night. My sympathies.
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ne...news-headlines

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Allison

Truly Sad. We saw this production 3 weeks ago while visiting NYC and absolutely loved it. I know tickets are very hard to come by, hope it all works out and the show continues to succeed as well as it is currently doing. I'm not sure who was in our production as I accidently left my Playbill on the seat. EVERYONE was fantastic, and what a supberb band!! I'd recommend it to anyone who loves GREAT music and dancing.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 11:56 AM
sad

The dancer that was killed was in the Matinee, but he also understudied for the lead during the evening performances. He was on his way to the show on west 46th when he was killed.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 12:29 PM
x

Did you see the thread here from EI?

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 03:23 PM
Bev

Ted, I know the posting he's referring to but this won't help you...you mentioned that you'll be in new York during Christmas/New Years and he has tickets for sale but their for this weekend.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 09:27 PM
Joyce

I absolutely loved this show and see why it is such a success. I didn't even want to go, my husband was dragging me there but after all was said and done...I didn't want to leave. We had seats in approximately row 5 or6...the only way to go. I'd highly recommend this Ted if you haven't already purchased tickets. I think our show was sold out (not sure). My husband set it all up with short notice. Hmmmm....probably one the last minute ebay tickets some have mentioned.