Bike Week in South Carolina

May 1st, 2007, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Bike Week in South Carolina

Hi,

How far down the coast does bike week (May 8-12 or so) extend from Myrtle Beach, SC? If I go to Litchfield Beach on May 12-13, should I expect to hear the noise from bike week? I'm looking for a quiet weekend on the South Carolina shore. I'm interested in going somewhere between Charleston and Durham, NC since I'll be returning from time spent in Charleston to go back to Durham.

Thanks!
May 1st, 2007, 07:01 AM

I would think anywhere along the coast of SC (and Southern nc coast) would be pretty busy with that "noise" (which to me is music)
May 1st, 2007, 09:45 AM

RainLaurel2,

you're going to get some bike traffic along Highway 17 through Litchfield and even Pawleys Island. However, it will be mostly "passing through" type traffic.

Litchfield, especially inside the resort and on the beach, will not be overcome with bikers or bike noise. Certainly not to the extent that I'll be treated to (I live in between MB and NMB). I think you'll be okay.

Also, I have noticed that the first weekend of bike week (your weekend) draws an older, less rowdy crowd than the second weekend. That's a generalization of course, but I've been an on-the-scene observer now for 6 years.
May 1st, 2007, 09:58 AM
GoTravel

Firstly, your dates are off. Bike Week is officially May 11-20th and the beach will be packed. While the majority of bikes will be between Murrells Inlet and North Myrtle Beach, there will be tons of bikes in Litchfield and Pawleys.

Because Charleston is a popular day ride for the bikers, you will see thousands of bikes zooming down Highway 17.

Keep in mind, because so many go to Charleston (there will be over 500,000 bikes in town), they get a good share of the overflow.

May 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! If we want to avoid bike week, should we go to the beach at Sullivan's Island on May 13 or perhaps go to the beach on May 10 and then see the plantations near Charleston on May 13?

Thanks!