Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Big Sur in March (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/big-sur-in-march-1001524/)

clarems Jan 1st, 2014 08:22 PM

Big Sur in March

Hello all,

My husband and I are planning a week-long trip to California in mid to late March. I've travelled around Southern California a bit in the past but never been up north (it will be my husband's first time in the state).

I've wanted to visit Big Sur for quite some time and hoped that I might be able to get some feedback on general weather during that timeframe? We'll be visiting from the northeast and, while I don't expect temps to be warm, would prefer to come when it's not too rainy and chilly.

As an alternative, we would stick to LA/Palm Springs, but I was very much hoping for something new (to me).

Thanks!

StuDudley Jan 1st, 2014 08:33 PM

The weather here in the last 5 years has been totally unpredictable. We haven't had any rain in the past several months - except for 1 day.

Stu Dudley

Humphries711 Jan 1st, 2014 08:55 PM

We just visited Big Sur this October - the first week in October. In some places, it was quite warm with the sun out. But in some places, if you drive down to the shore by the water, it can be VERY cold. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt with a light jacket up on a scenic overlook on top of a cliff at Big Sur, and we drove down the windy one lane road to the lower observation point by the water and the rocks, and boy was it COLD down there!!! I had to change into long pants and add a scarf. Dinner atop the cliff at Nepenthe Restaurant was very pleasant. Call ahead to get a reservation at the counter on the deck that overlooks the ocean and cliffs at Big Sur & watch the sunset. AMAZING!!!

Humphries711 Jan 1st, 2014 08:58 PM

And if you have time, take a quick stop at The Cove in Cambria - it's really pretty there! And, just north of Cambria is a spot where the seals come onto shore, depending on what time of year it is in their mating/birthing/migration cycle. The adolescents were on shore in October. AWESOME thing to see!! We drove the PCH from somewhere outside of Paso Robles (which is also a great area to visit - it's like the new "Napa" with lots of nice wineries & vineyards) all the way up to San Francisco & Napa. It was an AWESOME experience. Make sure you give yourself enough time to stop and take it all in and not feel rushed. Hope this info helps! Enjoy!!

janisj Jan 1st, 2014 10:30 PM

The weather in October has nothing to do w/ the weather in March. The very best/warmest weather of the entire year along the coast is in Sept/Oct. March is much more iffy. It is the tail end of our rainy season - but it has been really dry the last couple of years. Who knows what this year will be?? Hopefully wet (sorry - but we are on the verge of a major drought and every drop helps)

It could be gorgeous - or it could be very wet - or anything in between. Driving through Big Sur in a rain storm isn't fun.

bear900 Jan 2nd, 2014 04:25 PM

We tent camped Pfeiffer Big Sur last April. The nights and early mornings were very cold (we were outside though)but the days warmed up nicely. That was April. March will be cooler.

Everyday along the Big Sur coast can be iffy. Even on a good warm day you may drive through patches of fog.

From the northeast? Piece of cake! I wouldn't miss it!

JeanetteK13 Jan 2nd, 2014 05:12 PM

Big Sur is beautiful any time of the year. March is spring time therefore it could rain however it is also one of the most beautiful times of the year. You get to see flowers in bloom with a lot of beautiful colors and natures young at their cutest (fawns, baby quail, baby turkeys, baby foxes, etc...). Must sees are: Point Sur Light Station (make sure to check days/tour times in advance); Pfeiffer Beach (purple sand & beautiful rock formations)and Pfeiffer State Park (for hiking). Dining: Nepenthe (800 feet up & casual) and Sierra Mar (1200 feet up & upscale) have beautiful views of the ocean on the edge of the cliff. However the Big Sur Roadhouse has amazing food & a warm, cozy atmosphere. For places to stay: On a budget (rustic) - Riverside Campground & Cabins (cabins starting at est. $140). The hidden gem for hotels in Big Sur is Glen Oaks Big Sur. They have nicely renovated rooms, cottages & cabins with high end bedding, towels, etc.. & a lovely décor. They are also right across the highway from the Roadhouse. Located in the Big Sur valley (so no ocean views) however even when its cold or foggy on the coast, it is generally still sunny and warmer in the valley. Reasonable "Big Sur" prices starting at $225 for rooms. High end places (very decadent) are Post Ranch Inn & Ventana which are full service resorts. They start at around $700 per night. Have a great time, Big Sur is one of the most beautiful places in the world!

bear900 Jan 2nd, 2014 08:10 PM

I just remembered Ragged Point Inn. Just checked for March,
2014. This is one of the least expensive rooms:

Cliffside Ground King
$139.00 avg/night
Ocean View,Ground Level, King Bed

They have a winter special up to March 9 for $195, includes breakfast and dinnerfor two. (I'm going to regret posting this.)

Beautiful grounds to stop and poke around even if you don't stay.

http://www.raggedpointinn.com/