Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Big Puddles in NYC right about now? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/big-puddles-in-nyc-right-about-now-1085403/)

teadrinker Feb 2nd, 2016 12:09 PM

Big Puddles in NYC right about now?

Hi, I am starting to pack for 5-night trip to NYC starting this weekend.
Someone mentioned that due to a recent big snowstorm and the warm temperatures, that the puddles at street crossings in particular were many and quite deep.
I was wondering if this is true and whether you would recommend bringing water proof boots, and whether ankle, or knee high would be best.
Thank you!

Dukey1 Feb 2nd, 2016 12:18 PM

If you use Uber to go absolutely everywhere there will be nothing to worry about and you can leave your boots at home

mes2525 Feb 2nd, 2016 12:46 PM

The temperature has been in the 40's and 50's for several days so the streets have lost most of their snow, even in Queens. It may rain on Wednesday, Feb. 3 so bring an umbrella.

Gwendolynn Feb 2nd, 2016 01:34 PM

Yes, I was just looking out the window and marveling that so much snow vanished so quickly. Good advice on the umbrella.

happytrailstoyou Feb 2nd, 2016 01:55 PM

Waterproof overshoes were essential under these circumstances when I lived in NYC for several decades. The problem is that drains get clogged and big puddles appear at street corners. It also helps to be able to jump a good distance over the deepest parts of these little lakes.

Also, stand well back from the curb when cars drive by to avoid being splashed by dirty water.

I didn't find that an umbrella helped much when wading though a puddle.

HTtY

PS There was no Uber when I lived in NYC, but I doubt that Uber has solved the puddle problem.

IMDonehere Feb 2nd, 2016 02:05 PM

Manhattan streets are just fine with more rain on the way.

Inakauaidavidababy Feb 2nd, 2016 02:10 PM

Hey dukey, do the Uber drivers carry you over the puddles and put you in their car?

SusieQQ Feb 2nd, 2016 02:52 PM

Many Uber drivers in NYC are on strike.

IMDonehere Feb 2nd, 2016 03:20 PM

We still have 13,600 yellow cabs, that can stop at the curb. And they don't jack up the prices when there is a "surge."

teadrinker Feb 2nd, 2016 03:45 PM

Okay, I've got one foot in a regular (not waterproof) boot and the other in a smart looking knee-high waterproof boot ... I guess I'll bring 'em both wif me!
I just spent the past three hours packing around these boots so there's no goin' back now! (unless I throw in my favorite pair (which don't really match anything, but they're the most comfortable for walking) - but that's not smart packin' is it?
We aren't leaving until Friday - staying through the week.
I hope my new waterproof boots are really comfortable, because it sounds like I'll be wearing them a lot.
I'll wear them around the house to break them in, just in case they need it.. (Ariat Extreme Tall h20 Insulated - Zappos)
Thank you!!!

Inakauaidavidababy Feb 2nd, 2016 04:02 PM

Comfort is everything - unless you have 24 hr car service, walking is everything

I went to a black tie broadway opening a few years ago and brought the comfy and the stiletto sexy shoes. So glad I was talked into wearing the comfy as it was quite a few blocks to opening party at Empire and no cabs in sight.

nytraveler Feb 2nd, 2016 04:39 PM

IMHO the really smart packing is wearing the boots that are most comfortable for walking. The snow is gone in Manhattan (except in the middle of the park) and I'm not aware of any more snow in the forecast.

(Yes, right after the storm the corner crosswalks are a mess - but that was at least 4 days ago.)

ellenem Feb 2nd, 2016 05:28 PM

In my neighborhood--East Village--most of the snow is gone and most of the puddles as well. I've been wearing my regular shoes since the weekend.

doug_stallings Feb 3rd, 2016 05:07 AM

It's been so warm that I haven't seen a puddle since the weekend. But it will be cold again by this weekend, so do dress warmly. No snow is expected this week at all.

thursdaysd Feb 3rd, 2016 06:13 AM

I would never travel with shoes - or boots - that haven't been well broken in. Have pity on your feet!

Gwendolynn Feb 3rd, 2016 09:11 AM

Please…. where your comfortable boots -:)
Nobody will care if you don't look like you stepped out of Vogue.
I wear my sneakers to the opera

Gwendolynn Feb 3rd, 2016 09:13 AM

Did I actually type… where….???