Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Big Island Waipio Valley Advice Needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/big-island-waipio-valley-advice-needed-1453410/)

Songdoc Jul 3rd, 2017 11:06 AM

Big Island Waipio Valley Advice Needed

I’ll be working at a conference at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel early September. I’ll have one full day off before I have to be at the airport at 5:00 PM and I’d like to visit the Waipio Valley. I’ll be alone so I don’t want to do any hiking that’s treacherous or very strenuous. (Moderate difficulty and even the strenuous side of moderate would be OK.) I read that only 4 WD cars can drive the access road.

I hate to pay the extra amount for a 4 WD for a week just for that one trip? But I might do it. Or ... is it worthwhile only seeing it from the lookout? My primary goal is to take photos.

sylvia3 Jul 3rd, 2017 11:29 AM

You can ride down into the valley with several tour groups. I wouldn't bother just driving to the lookout, but it's not all that far. (I like the view from Pololu Valley Lookout, and the hike down is not terrible.)

newtome Jul 3rd, 2017 12:01 PM

Four-wheel-drive tour and I would say it's well worth it to join the tour. The guys there all locals and have so much information about the history etc.

FaceInTheCrowd Jul 3rd, 2017 12:51 PM

Assuming you don't want to take a tour, I think your best bet for accessing the valley is by foot. In the several times I've been there, the only people other than those on tours I've seen drive down the steep access road were locals; tourists were all hiking in. The property is all privately owned anyway, so whether on foot or in a vehicle, public access is generally limited to the beach/beach park.

If you can fit them both in, you might drive to Waipio's lookout, take some photos, then reverse direction to Pololu. Views aren't as nice from the lookout there, but it's an easy hike down to the beach, and I think you'll like what you see there from a photographic perspective.

Songdoc Jul 3rd, 2017 01:04 PM

ARGGHHH! None of the tours go on Sunday, which is my only day to do it. I just checked the price of renting a 4WD and I will NOT be doing that!

How bad is the hike?

I have a feeling I will not be seeing the Waipio Valley on my one day off :-(.

Thanks for your help!

Inakauaidavidababy Jul 3rd, 2017 02:35 PM

Dont fret. Now that you are a homeowner you need to learn the lay of the land.
Even if you wanted to afford a 4x4 it is frowned upon by the residents. And the pitch is scary driving! There's llmited area that you can drive. Very limited.

To hike in would likely cost you a hip replacement on the hike out, if I recall you were limited mobility in the past.

Read up on the history of the land. It is very special. Take a tour or local hitch down and up.

And at least drive to the overlook. But also consider doing the hike down to pololu. It's an easier hike and breathtaking, and a visit to Hawi wi worth a couple of hours of dining and browsing. The mountain Road and Humpback Highway are Both spectacular.

FaceInTheCrowd Jul 3rd, 2017 04:08 PM

The road into the valley is less than a mile, but the grade is steep (25% average), so yes, you'll want a new knee after the walk down, and a new hip after the slog back up. Roundtrip hike is about 3 miles from the parking lot on top to the beach below.

As I said earlier, I've not seen anyone other than a local drive it, but have a friend whose son, who didn't know any better and had rented a Suburban, drove his young family down the road. He lived to tell about it, but did report a couple instances of stink-eye.

Do Pololu instead.

Songdoc Jul 3rd, 2017 04:31 PM

You've given me great info. I will NOT be driving or hiking. I will definitely do Pololu.

Also ... if I take a VERY early flight from Kauai the timing might work for me to do a Waipio Valley tour the day I arrive. Most of them seem to go too long for my schedule. (I have to be at the conference at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel no later than 4 pm.) Some of the tours don't get back until 5 pm or later. But the mule-drawn carriage tour in only two hours.

Thanks, again!