Big Island Vacation Planning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just back from Hawaii vacation. We spent most time in Honolulu, but visited Big Island, Kauai, and Maui. I so love paradise vacation that now I am looking to have next vacation on Big Island.

I do have some concerns: we never took car in rent.; I never booked hotel by myself, I never planned activity. Usually we take group trip where everything is under control. Now I am going to plan all by myself.

I will be happy to have tips and advises.
Thanks.
Irana
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 05:52 AM

Re car, there are many strategies. First you have to know what a good price is. The cheapest rates go to blocks of 7 days. Next look at the discounters. What is the rate from costco and discount Hawaii. What is the travelzoo rate. Next what is hotwire going for. The closer to the date the cheaper (usually hotwire and priceline get). Also in the calculation is when you are going. The off season is generally cheaper than the high season.

Next what is your budget for a room. Then again look for sales at travelzoo or at costco. The cheaper resorts are in Kona. The more expensive are on the Kohala Coast. If budget is a concern, then look at Kona or consider a different option say B&B or maybe a cottage.

Finally what do you like to do? Better hiking on the eastside. Better beaches and more sun on the west. Snorkeling is better on the west. Gardens are better on the east. Eating is more in the west but there are nice places in the east too.

So for more help from the board, establish a length of the vacation, the time of year, your budget per night for the room, and your interests.
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 07:37 AM

You should read a guidebook for recommendations. Fodors makes a guidebook for Hawaii.
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 08:02 AM

Good advice so far, also look into package deals with air, hotel, and/or car together.
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 08:49 AM

Condo on vrbo.com
Car on Hotwire
Airfare (to KOA) on Kayak
Activities? Don't worry about until you're there, then look for deals for what you want to do.
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 08:53 AM

There are many nice places to stay for your price range (from other thread). But a condo is especially good because you can cook meals, have more space, etc. These are really nice and in your price range, for example:
http://www.southkohala.com/store/p20condo_details28.php
BUT you can get the same places for MUCH less on VRBO right now.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 08:08 PM

Priceline worked well for me on the big island last year. I wound up with what I thought was a pretty good rate at the Marriott -- $130, I think.