Big Island touring – clockwise best?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have so enjoyed reading all the BI threads here and got such a lot of great information, including the wonderful highlights - wear your gardening gloves on the volcano hike and don’t attempt driving the southern route from Volcano to Kona at night unless you have a death-wish

We love independent exploring/discovering, and for our Big Island adventure, hope to circumnavigate the island during our one week stay. (14-20 Sept 07). We are not into resort/condo-type accommodation and prefer smaller lodgings/vacation rentals such as b&bs or cottages.

Will be renting a car for the duration, and thinking about spending two nights each at three different locations (most B&Bs and cabins seem to have a two night minimum), travelling in a clockwise direction starting and ending at Kona airport. Or would anti-clockwise be the better option?

Unfortunately, our flight arrives rather late at Kona (8:35 pm from Boston) so our first night is the most difficult as night driving (on the ‘wrong’ side) after an exhausting day of travel is not recommended.
If we follow our plan of driving northwards on the west coast, could anyone recommend an area relatively close to Kona for our first two-night sojourn?

For our next two-night stay, I thought perhaps the Waipio Valley/Honokaa area - and for the third two-nights, the Volcano Park area.

Unfortunately, our onward flight to Sydney departs from Honolulu at 9:15am, so I’m wondering if I should delete a night from BI and fly from Kona to HNL the day before just to make sure we catch our flight? See there are early-morning flights that would get us to International terminal HNL in time, but DH is nervous if there’s a weather situation, we could miss it. Has anyone done an early-bird island hop to HNL to connect with onward Australia/NZ flight?

All comments much appreciated.

Jackie
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:25 AM

I prefer driving the island counter-clockwise, to catch the unobstructed ocean (and cliff) views.

Just my 2 cents...
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:35 AM

We also drove counter-clockwise, and this is the way I would do it again.

Spent first 3 nights at a B&B near Kona (wonderful B&B) and then 2 nights near Volcano, and then 5 nights on Kohala Coast. We thought it was the perfect amount of time in each place.
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:01 AM

We've driven the island both ways and have found both enjoyable. You might be more comfortable driving clock-wise since that puts you in the inside lane--since you will be driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

A couple of places that we have stayed-in Honokaa --Waipio Wayside B&B--http://www.waipiowayside.com/ and the Cliff House http://www.hawaiicliffhouse.com/

We usually stay in the Puna District on the east side--have rented several houses from this site www.apoparadise.com

In south Kona-- stayed in the Bamboo Suite from this site http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/csuite/index.html.

Old May 24th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks auntiemaria, Samsaf and martym for the input, much appreciated.

Auntie, those unobstructed cliff views, I just realised, would be from the passenger side, and that would be moi (DH will do most of the driving, it's a man thing, innit?). With the 'wrong' side of the road and no doubt the windshield wipers churning at every turn, I think I'd enjoy it and be more relaxed in the inside-lane, as martym suggests.

So clockwise it is - saving the Volcano NP for last; I'd wanted to do this as it's the very last day of an amazing almost 6week rtw trip, and a live volcano is finishing off with a bang before returning to humdrum routine.

Bit like champagne and fireworks at midnight before being shuffled off to bed

Thanks for those lodging links, martym.
Now saved to Favourites.

Samsaf, what B&B near Kona did you stay at?

Jackie
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Jackie, we stayed at the Country Goose B&B, but we really can't recommend it. There are lots of good reviews on tripadvisor, but I also put my review on there (in early November 2006).

The next time we stay near the volcano, we'll stay at the Kileaua Lodge.

The B&B we stayed at near Kona(Hale Hualalai) was wonderful! And we also loved the Fairmont Orchid (on the Kohala coast).
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:49 PM

About the early departure:

Be aware that Aloha will not guarantee your luggage to make it to your destination at the same time you do unless there is at least 75 minutes between the flights (I can't speak for the others, but was told they were all the same).

We flew mainland to HNL to KOA then Aloha to HNL to LIH and LIH to mainland - returned May 21st of this week. There were problems getting luggage in a timely manner on all the flights.

I had thought myself quite clever to seek out the fastest routes - which, in our case, did not pay off.

Old May 24th, 2007, 05:51 PM

Sorry, that should read mainland to HNL to KOA;
ITH to HNL to LIH; and LIH to HNL to mainland.
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:55 PM

We went clockwise from Kona and enjoyed a great day with a hike and drive through cowboy country, a few stops in Hilo and ending at Volcano. Next day the NP and then back to Kona

http://www.haleohia.com/
Also reviewed by Fodors (see tab above)

Great dinner at Thai Thai in Volcano.
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:16 AM

You can fly out of Hilo if you don't want to do the full loop - it may save you half a day. I've been on the road near Kona when there was an accident and the traffic was at a standstill because there aren't alternative routes. That would concern me if I had a crucial flight to catch.
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Jackie: Lucky you! Is this an extension of the China trip?

We went to BI in Feb, check out my TR "Singiing in the Rain". I'm so low tech I don't know how to bring it over here for you. To be fair to DH, I did 1/2 of the driving and kept my eyes on the road. I didn't mind driving in the rain but not at night, it's very dark.
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses, such a great help in planning this final leg of our trip.

From what patg and olesouthern say, I now have to agree with DH and we will leave BI the day before our onward flight to Sydney and spend our final night in HNL instead. I was concentrating so hard on us making the flight, I hadn’t considered our luggage, so thanks for the tip, OSB!

Samsaf, thanks for the tip about the Country Goose, (read your TA input when I was checking it out before, and took it off the possible-list); now checking Hale Hualalai.

Starrsville, thru’ the link you gave I think I’ve found the loveliest studio in Volcano (DH is not fond of cats, and Hale Ohia cottages is owned by one gorgeous ginger Dixon). It’s Kate’s Cottage –
http://www.volcanoplaces.com/kates/katescottage.html

Shanghainese, yes! Last portion of our exciting trip which begins in Beijing (just updated that thread) and ends with palm-trees and hips swaying to lava flows.
I had read your Singing in the Rain TR – got so much great background info. For anyone else, here’s the link to the report
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34961206

(Shanghainese, if you want to give links to reports etc., bring up the thread, then click on the heading and the full link will appear in your browser window. Highlight and then copy ‘n past (Control plus c, then Control plus v)

Hope this helps!
Jackie
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM

Jackie: Thanks a bunch for the clear instructions. Best of luck and have loads of fun on your multi-continent trip!
Old May 28th, 2007, 04:45 AM

Starrsville, You mentioned a hike through cowboy country, what hike was that? We want to see this area by foot and not just a drive-thru. 10 days and counting til we're there!
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Just updating this thread with the trip report link of our unforgettable adventure "The Big Island Loop de Wheels: Sept 07"

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35090983

Many thanks again to all for the helpful tips and advice,

Mahalo,
Jackie
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 05:39 PM

Okay - I'm going to switch things around and ask - which direction do I want to drive if I'm going from VNP to Kona? We'll be setting out in the morning as we need to be in Kona by 3pm for a manta ray dive.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ladybug,

Guess it depends on what part of the island you've already seen, and what your interests are.

The Hwy 11 southwards from VNP to Kona is the shorter distance, about 2 hours leisurely driving, compared to taking Hwy 19 northwards from Hilo.

We took the Hwy 11 route from VNP - to Kona, leaving at 9am and stopping at various beaches/sights along the way, and arriving at Keahole airport at 4:30pm for an inter-island flight. The road condition was good and we also drove during the day, so no traffic hazards at all.

However, there are others here who prefer the opposite direction, the Hwy 19 northwards from Hilo; it really depends on what you'd like to see on the way to your 3pm manta ray dive.

Hope this helps,
Jackie

Old Nov 21st, 2007, 09:09 AM

FurryTiles, I'm so glad you wrote a trip report. It sounds like you had a great time. And I'm reall glad I was able to help you with the B&B -- isn't it a great place?

We had 10 nights on the Big Island, and I want to go back as soon as we can.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi Samsaf, yes the Hale Hualalai was perfect - probably would never have found it in the masses of accommodation options without your help!

As mentioned, we enjoyed it so much we extended from two to three nights - mmmm, those breakfasts

Wish we'd had ten days like you, instead of just five - but that would have meant missing out on Boston, an unforgettable, wonderful experience as well.

Jackie

Old Nov 21st, 2007, 11:47 PM

at Waipio, this looked stunning - book asap if you like it.
http://www.hawaiicliffhouse.com/locationpage.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -