Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Big Island Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/big-island-question-587308/)

kalunchi Feb 1st, 2006 12:02 PM

Big Island Question

Hi... I'm extremely excited about going to Hawaii for the third time in 2 years. This time around it's Big Island which I've never been to. I need some help.

People were saying to split up the stay in the Kona side and the Volcano Village side, where exactly is the Volcano Village?

I'm planning 6 nights at the Big Island, 5 nights at Sheraton Keauhou, how is that resort anyway? The going rate is $189/nt which is awefully cheap for a 4 star hotel, is there a catch?

Thanks for the help!

TBelle Feb 1st, 2006 12:30 PM

We have visited the Big Island several times, and always stay in Kona (which is on the west side). It is very rugged, lots of lava stones - totally different from the northern islands. We just love it, though!

The Volcano Village area is on the south side, near the volcano. We have certainly driven there, as well as to the east coast, but have never stayed either place. I'm not sure there's any point in splitting the vacation up to stay in 2 different areas - the drive is not that far (I assume you'll get a rental car?).

Also, I don't think there's a "catch" for the Sheraton Keauhou - you'll have a great time!

ChristieP Feb 1st, 2006 12:47 PM

As TBelle says, Volcano Village is right outside the entrance gate of Volcano National Park. There are no big resorts there, but there are lots of B&Bs and small hotels. By staying on that side for at least one night, you save yourself a LOT of driving time!

One of the FEW places that will let you do a one night stay is Country Goose B&B. www.countrygoose.com We stayed there and it was very nice. She also has several small houses in the neighborhood.

rickandpat Feb 1st, 2006 01:09 PM

I agree with the friends who advise splitting the time between the two. It is a long drive between Volcano and the Kona coast, and Volcano National Park is worth at least a day itself (we took a great hike - not real long but fascinating terrain). And I really enjoyed being there after sunset to see the lava flow. With almost no lights in the area, it is extremely dark and not the easiest driving at night. But if volcanoes don't interest you, forget this advice.

Get "The Big Island Revealed", written by people who live there and have lots of good info.

kalunchi Feb 1st, 2006 01:58 PM

How long is a drive from the Volcano Village back to Sheraton Keauhou? I heard 2 hours +, if that's the case, then yes, I think I should spend a night there.

ChristieP Feb 1st, 2006 04:30 PM

Yes, the drive is about 2 hours, maybe more if traffic is bad. Trust me, you'll be better if you stay one night in Volcano!

CaliNurse Feb 1st, 2006 04:57 PM

It's a long drive, whichever road (north or south) you chose. I made the mistake of driving round-trip from Hilo to Kona in a day, and regretted it. The roads are dark.
Re: the Sheraton, when last on BI (Nov 2004) I walked around to get a feel for a possibel future visit, but tremodeling had not yet been completed. (The hotel stood empty for years.) It's down a quiet road, away from other hotels/condos in the area (south Kona/Keauhou). To be honest, at that time grounds and public areas did not feel like a 4 star hotel-- so check tripadvisor or here, etc, for current feedback. It's about a 5 minute drive up the hill to the Keauhou Shopping Center-a convenience--Longs and grocery store and some restaurants there. In that area, I've also stayed at Outrigger Keauhou Beach Resort (which used to be a Sheraton) and Kanaloa at Kona condos. Both were fine. You should be able to get places at either for $189/night or less, if you want to check other options. See Outrigger's web site. The nice thing about So Kona/Keauhou locations is you're an easy ride to Kealakekua Bay/hill coffee farm area/Place of Refuge, with little towns along the way with local restaurants and shops.
In Volcano Village we stayed at Kilauea Lodge, which was lovely, and has a good restaurant with cozy feel in front of big fireplace. Breakfast is included in room price.
Whatever you chose, have a great first trip to BI, kalunchhi!!

Barbara5353 Feb 1st, 2006 06:20 PM

We stayed spitting distance from the Sheraton Keauhou just last month. (See my trip report "Big Island Bliss" for info on our condo, which was about the same price as your hotel room) We had dinner and walked around the Sheraton. If there are kids with you, they will love the pool and slide. We enjoyed drinks and Hawaiian music in the open air lounge. I like the location of the hotel. There are some great snorkel/boat trips available from the hotel that leave from Keauhou Bay. They also have some walks and talks on the property having to do with manta rays.
It was pretty quiet when we were there, so I assume the low rate is to fill up those rooms!