Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Big Island question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/big-island-question-570652/)

letscruise Nov 13th, 2005 11:43 AM

Big Island question

We're beginning to plan another trip to Hawaii. We've been to Oahu once, Maui twice and Kauai 3 times. We love Kauai. DH is considering the Big Isle this time.

We love the coziness of Kauai and the beauty of the north shore. With those things in mind would I be dissapointed in the Big Isle? We've previously stayed away because we thought it might be too large and spread out to see in 7-10 days.

Is there an area like Kauai's north shore? Would staying in one area 5 days and then moving to another for a few days be worth the trouble? Hotel suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks

crefloors Nov 13th, 2005 01:04 PM

It is big, that's for sure but in 7-10 days you should not have any problem seeing the island plus down time. I love the BI..it is so interesting. The topography changes are amazing, something like 11 or 13 different micro climates. The Kona side is dry and warm the Hilo side much wetter, green, and lush. I can't help with hotels because I have stayed in condos my two times there. How can anyone tell you if you would like it? I have been to all the major islands several times and have my favorites. I went to Kauai, and frankly, it was not my cup of tea and I won't go back but I will never say I wasted my time there. I am glad I went, it took care of my curiosity, and I certainly could not say I didn't enjoy my time, after all, it's Hawaii and how bad can that be? So, it sounds like you are able to visit the Islands frequently so it's not like it's your last or only trip, so why not take a chance?

beachgirl86 Nov 13th, 2005 01:21 PM

The Big Island is HUGE, much bigger than all the other islands, but if you have 7-10 days, I would definitely go for it. You should be able to see quite a bit in this amount of time. I haven't been to Kauai, but I have been to Maui, Oahu, and BI. Next summer, we are going back to Maui and BI.

The BI is quite different than Maui and Oahu, but we love it. It is extremely unique and diverse, and has so many fascinating things to see. Volcano National Park is extraordinary, and the snorkeling on the BI is very good. The BI is very quiet and laid-back, much less busy than Oahu (Waikiki) and Maui.

As for hotels, we have stayed at Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel and Marriott Waikoloa, both on the Kohala Coast. Both were nice, but we have returned and will return to Hapuna because of the gorgeous beach and snorkeling there.

Have fun planning!

christy1 Nov 13th, 2005 01:40 PM

7-10 days is great. It doesn't have the lush, jungle like beauty nor the cozyness of Kauai, but it does have an active volcano (there is NOTHING like seeing lava at night), gorgeous, safe and calm (usually) swimming beaches (Mauna Kea, Hapuna, etc), wonderful prehistoric ares like Place of Refuge, black sand beaches, wild, remote and historic areas like South Point, and some uniquely Hawaiian landscapes (ie the ranching country of north Kohala and Waimea, and the moonscapes on Mauna Loa). I too have been to the big 4 and love Kauai best but only slightly more than the BI.

Yes, do stay in different parts of the island. I'd get Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed and look at their accomodation section. I know some people have legitamate concerns with these guidebooks and the way they promote access to some fragile natural areas, but their accomodation section is really great. It does however exclude vrbos and those are always a great option in Hawaii. If you can afford to splurge at the Mauna Kea I'd recommend it, for its location on such a gorgeous beach and its proximity to the Kohala and Waimea areas. I also enjoyed my stay at the Outrigger Keauhou and found it a good value and a good location to visit south Kona sights like the National Historical Parks. It doesn't have the amenities (nor the high prices) of a large resort but is adjacent to a wonderful, protected snorkling area. The hotel is actually built OVER the water so when you are in the bar or in an oceanfront room you look directly down into crystal clear water. You can even see fish.

You MIGHT be disappointed in the wet side of the BI. Many people go there to see the waterfalls, tropical vegetation and gardens, but since you've been to Kauai (which is much lusher) 3 times, this area might not do it for you.

hobojo Nov 13th, 2005 02:06 PM

Yes, you should see the BI. Kona side is great for snorkeling and beach fun. Then you could stay at Volcano National Park for 2 nights. Don't make the mistake of basing yourselves in Hilo like we did. It is a long drive back and forth to the park-and it is ALWAYS raining. It is desolate after 9pm and even seemed seedy to us after dark. But the park is fantastic. You must not miss the lava at night-it is very unusual.

letscruise Nov 13th, 2005 02:57 PM

Thanks for all the information. Lots to think about. The worst places in Hawaii are better than most good places any where else. There's no way not to enjoy it.