Big Island or Maui?

Hi,
I am traveling to Hawaii for 9
days in mid Nov with my husband,
our 2 daughters (aged 1 and 4)
and my 2 nieces (aged 17.)
We are definitely spending 4 days
in Kauai. The question is, for the
4 nights, should we stay on Maui or the B.I?
I've heard mixed reviews of Maui
(too touristy, too crowded)
Could someone please let me know
what they would do based on their own
experiences?
Thanks--Joanne
Oct 1st, 2003, 06:19 PM

I wouldn't say it is too crowded. It still is quaint and has charm. BI has more land mass. Both are very nice. For kids that age I would go to the Marriott Wailea on Maui or Hilton Waikaloa (sp?) or 4 Seasons on the BI. If you plan on driving a lot BI might be too much to do with young kids.
Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:08 AM

Joanne -

We travel to HI annually and now spend our time almost exclusively on Kauai (our favorite), however, we have traveled to all of the HI islands and our favorites are Kauai and the Big Island - just our personal preference. Simply put, we like the solitude and more quiet atmosphere. We've been to Mauai at least 8 or 10 times so we have seen incredible changes over the years and not to our liking. It has become more crowed and congested than we like in a vacation spot, but others love the island and there is much beauty to find. We just have crossed Maui off our list and prefer the more laidback spirit we find in Kauai and the BI. If you do choose Maui, I would recommend either the Wailea or Kapalua areas - less crowded than Kanapali and some other spots. You just need to know what you like and enjoy and go from there. There are admittedly more restaurants and night life on Maui, however, we are not looking for night life and we find that there are more than sufficient restaurants and shopping on the other islands. I think you have chosen the best in Kauai. The hiking, kayaking, helicopter tours, botannical gardens, snorkeling and beaches are wonderful. No matter what your choice, you will enjoy.

Search this Thread