Big Island or Kauai Apr '03

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Frank Stefanec

Hi,
We want to go to either the BI or Kauai in early April '03. I've heard just marvelous things about the Princeville Resort here and I want to know if I should expect much rain that time of year on the north shore of Kauai?
Also, how is the Kohala Coast on the BI that time of year. Dry, rainy, rough beach??
Thanks.
Frank

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 11:12 AM
gerri

Aloha Frank,

Can't speak for the "north shore" of Kauai, however the Kohala Coast is beautiful in April. Sunny, breezy, low 80's during the day and high 60's at night. Surf starts to calm in April compared to mid Dec. through end of March.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Leslie

Frank - Kauai is a very wet island in general which is why it is so beautiful and green. Do expect regular, if brief, warm showers nearly every day. Princeville is like to have a bit more rain than the "sunny" Poipu area but there probably isn't much appreciable difference.

The Kohala Coast of the BI is on the leeward side of the island which generally is less rainy than the windward sides.

A good source for historical patterns by month can be found on www.weather.com. Type in the name of the nearest city. You'll get a 10 day forecast and can also click on historical records so see highs/lows and precipitation averages by month.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Chuck

Hi. We were just in Kauai this April. We spent most of our time up north. The beaches were spectacular. This time of year is unpredictable, as is Spring anywhere. We had no rain to speak of. In fact, the weather was better up north than in Poipu. We did not stay at Princeville, but we did drive through. I was not impressed, but I'm not a resorty type a gal.
Have a blast. I am jealous.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 07:01 AM
mbln74a

Hi, I lived on BI for 10 years, every time I went to Kauai, it was raining. April is a much better time to go to the Big Island than May or later...it tends to warm up quite a bit once May hits. The Kohala Coast is great & there are some very good hotels, condos, etc. If you are there in early April, you may even see humpbacks beyond the breakers.
Definitely the Big Island. Aloha, Linda

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Carol

Hi Frank, We were in Kauai in September of 2000. I would definately recommend the north shore over Poipu. I'm not much on Resorts, but they have a number of houses and condo rentals that are great. We rented a one bedroom condo from someone at SeaLodge and we couldn't of had a better view. We were there for ten days and I think it rained maybe one afternoon. If you would like more information, just let me know. My husband and I are heading to the Big Island in March of 2003.