Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

So the 27 year old guy says to his wife, we want to snorkel, eat good seafood, and maybe dance a little...

Search

So the 27 year old guy says to his wife, we want to snorkel, eat good seafood, and maybe dance a little...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:03 AM
janster

so which key sounds like the best option for us?????

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:10 AM
xx

Key West!

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Jen

Definitely Key West. There are plenty of snorkeling trips you can take, lots of good restaurants (search for previous postings--it's been done to death), and tons of nightlife.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:17 AM
J T Kirk

Key West to dance and eat (though there are some fine restaurants in the Upper and Middle Keys).
Key Largo to snorkel. Pennekamp is the place to swim with the fishies. The reef in Key West is on its last leg.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:18 AM
IslandMon

ARUBA!!!! 4 1/2 hr flight direct out of NY or NJ, perfect weather (Florida is so-so right now), great snorkeling, great seafood, and plenty of clubs for dancing - including Carlos & Charlie's. Or, Cancun. Just repeat the above.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:23 AM
xxx

The reef in Key West is on its last leg.

No its not.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:27 AM
hey there

key west is great, i agree - i am a late 20 something and we love the diversity of things to do there

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:31 AM
J T Kirk

I wouldn't normally respond to "xxx", but I noticed I made a grammatical error. I should have said the reef OFF Key West is on its last leg, not IN.
And, yes, xxx, it is. The dive shops, for the most part, keep going to the same handful of spots to let off their parties. Couple that with the private boat owners who keep going to the same "best" spots and you have a problem. There are some sections of the reef off Key West that are in pretty good shape, but they don't get visited as often, for a number of reasons. Sorry to disillusion anyone, but we've "loved" the reef to death. Luckily, Pennecamp is protected, but even that reef (it's actually all the same reef, but . . .)is hurting. Just too many people want to see it, and too many people step on it, break off a chunk or two, run into with their boat, etc. Plus, boats put out an incredible amount of pollution which hurts the reef (and the fish). Sorry -- hate to be a doomsayer.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:40 AM
wishing

If its snorkeling your looking for, you can't get any better than St. John, USVI. Food is great(Lime Inn, Chateau Boudeaux, Asolare, plus many more) and you will be able to find a place to do a little dancing(Duffy's is the name I think).

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 08:22 AM
Judy

Best snorkeling would be Pennecamp in Key Largo, seafood yes too, ahhh,,,, but the dancing....Key West, I guess. Usually after a day of snorkeling, and eating seafood and all, my dancing feet usually tire out early. Must be the sun. not my age, yes?
;-) Judy

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 09:52 AM
grglnswsh

Key West would be a great choice. The only thing that might be better in the more nothern keys would be snorkeling. We have some great restaurants, great night life and some interesting museums and walking tours.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 09:58 AM
ME

I was in Key West two summers ago and I believe the beaches were in very poor quality. I have a picture of a sign that warned of contamination in the beach that we just swam in. Not sure which one it was. I have not been snorkeling there since I prefer the Carribean islands to do that sort of thing. Just know that the beaches in KW are not great.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 10:09 AM
karen

The Keys have never been known for its beaches. It is not a place you plan a trip to if you want pretty beaches.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 12:05 PM
snorkeling

While JT is somewhat correct, the reef is not as bad or "on its last leg" as he has stated. Yes, it has been damaged from years of abuse but it still has 100's if not 1000's of year left. I have snorkeled on it more times than I can count and it is always an amazing beautiful site. Be mindful of the rules that the captain and mates will give you and have a great time. There is nothing better than the Florida Keys.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 01:07 PM
YS

Hawaii?