Big Island - Horse back riding

May 15th, 2000, 05:17 PM
david

Big Island - Horse back riding

I'm interested in a scenic horse back ride where kids 6-7 would be allowed and comfortable. Any suggestions?

May 16th, 2000, 06:51 AM
Christie

Speaking as a riding instructor of children, I would be very hesitant to take such a young, inexperienced rider out on an open trail ride unless the stable has some smaller, very gentle horses/ponies with youth-sized saddles, and the horses did not go any faster than a walk. Your children should also wear a riding helmet; if these are not available for them, do not let them ride.
You might be better just having the adults ride this time, and letting the kids go riding at a stable near home. Once they are 10-12, they will be better able to handle a horse by themselves.

May 16th, 2000, 10:54 AM
Frank

I can recommend the horeseback ride in the Waip'io Valley as a good, scenic family ride, although I don't know if they permit 6-7 year olds. Although I don't recall the name of the company, your hotel concierge will easily make arrangements for you. You will be driven in a 4 wheel drive vehicle to the bottom of the Valley and then proceed on horseback through taro farms, across very shallow streams and through forest and lush vegetation. The horses are perfect for beginners and the experience is memorable.

Search this Thread