Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Big Island helicopter tours--best time of day??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2001, 10:14 AM
annieb

Hi--doing some research for a big island trip next March--(I'm an obsessive overplanner ) What is the best time of day to take a helicopter tour over the volcano, or does it not matter?

Also, how about the snorkeling boat trips- is it better to go on the morning trips or the afternoon?

Thanks to all!

Old May 17th, 2001, 09:26 AM
koa

Snorkeling is usually better in the mornings, before the wind picks up. Low tide is often in the morning and visibilities are usually better. The dive in kealakekua by the capt cook monument is great. As far as helicopter rides, anytime is good.but dont expect lava flying out of the volcano.

Old May 17th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Terry

Hi, we're taking a family trip (with a 7 yo) to the Big Island in late August. We'll be staying at the Hilton Waikoloa. We're also looking into a helicopter ride to see the volcano and would appreciate any info. I've heard about the Blue Hawaiian for the Maui tours. Are they good for the BI also? Any other recommendations?

Also, is tipping customary for helicopter tours? Do pilots expect gratuities? If so, 15% or how much? The ride itself is over $300 per person for the 2-hour island tour.

Old May 19th, 2001, 04:04 AM
topper

to the top

Old May 27th, 2001, 08:51 PM
Catherine

Terry: I stayed in the Hilton Waikaloa last year and did an early am Blue Hawaiian tour. it was great!! If I remember correctly, the heliport is really close via a free hotel shuttle bus. They took us out accross the iland, over the volcano and then to Hilo where we refuled and headed back to the Hilton.
We have done a heli tour of Kauai too - WOW! Different company though, can't remember which one but the pilot didn't really tell us much on that trip which was disappointing.
Honestly, tipping the pilot did not occur to me and I saw no-one do it on either tour.