Reload this Page >

Big Island Helicopter Tour or drive Volcano Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2001, 10:12 PM
Jolie

I am trying to decide to take a helicopter tour of Big Island Volcano using Blue Hawaiian or just rent a car and drive around for the day. It will only be a day trip. Does anyone have any advice??
Thanks

Old May 19th, 2001, 01:14 PM
lcuy

Jolie-
Yet another flightseeing tour crashed yesterday.... I've had many friends go in helicopteres and planes on the big isle love it. We always do the drive. if you start in Hilo and head to Volcano, you cna visit a great visitors center, then drive out where the road is covered with lava, and hike over the lava to see the molten stuff dripping into the ocean. The hike is easy, and you'll see lots of interesting formations on the way. Take water and stay on the path, and do not do this at night. My 85 year old, well travelled father said this was one of the best things he ever saw. As we live on Oahu, we have gone and done it several times. Drive north of Hilo and you'll be up in the rainforest. Drive over to Kona to see a mini Waikiki and keep going to see the coffee farms and country.

Old May 19th, 2001, 01:17 PM
lcuy

oops, just noticed you're on a day trip. Scratch the Kona side. Hilo/ volcano center/ hike/ lunch and shopping in Hilo is one day in itself. If it is a long day, you may be able to head a bit north for some rainforest scenery.

Old May 20th, 2001, 08:31 AM
Jolie

lcuy,
Thanks for your reply. If I rent the car, how long will it take to drive and walk through the volcano park? If it gets late and I need to turn around to head back to airport, can I do it?? Thanks again

Old May 20th, 2001, 02:36 PM
lcuy

to be honest, I've never timed it exactly. We usually take an 8 or 8:30 flight from Honolulu and come home around 5 or 6 pm. We spend a while at the national park visitors center, walk thru the Thurston Lava tube, do the 1 to 1 1/2 hour or so hike over the lava, have lunch, and visit some of the artsy places in Hilo. Like I mentioned, once I did it with my elderly parents and 2 toddler/kindergarten kids. It was a nice day trip...not rushed at all. Have fun!

Old May 20th, 2001, 03:07 PM
mms

Looking at the news - it was a twin engine Cessna Prop plane that ditched in to the ocean yesterday off the BI. All the passengers survived.

The only recent helicopter crash I can find on the web occured in Kaui in 6/96. Does anyone know of any others?

Old May 20th, 2001, 06:24 PM
lbrodsky

Last year or the year before Blue Hawaii Helicopter crashed. Ithink is was in Kawai. That was the first and only plane crash for Blue Hawaii. They do have a good reputation. I enjoyed the drive to Volcano National Park. You should fly to Hilo and drive from there. It is only 1/2 hour from Hilo and spend the day driving thru the park. There is so much to see. If you had more than one day I would drive to Waipio Valley. It is awesome.