Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Big Island: Fairmont Orchid vs. other Kohala Coast hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am in the very beginning stages of trying to plan a first anniversary trip to Hawaii this coming August. We went this past summer for our honeymoon and loved it!

While on the Big Island, we stayed at Hapuna Prince and the Waikoloa Marriott and enjoyed them both for different reasons. I'm not sure which islands we will be returning to if we do this trip, but I am wondering about the Fairmont Orchid.

I have found a 5 night package at the Fairmont on American Airlines vacations web page for about $1200...Hapuna Beach is the same price, and Marriott is a little cheaper. Which of the 3 do you think is the best deal for the money?

We love a big, deep pool, a great snorkeling beach, good beach bar food, nice rooms, etc...What are your impressions of the Orchid in general? Also, where is it located in relation to the other 2 hotels on the Kohala Coast? Any opinions or experiences at the Orchid would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 01:20 AM

Well, the Marriott's pool is bigger/deeper than either the Hapuna Beach Prince's or Orchid's, but room sizes are substantially smaller than the other two resorts. Especially the bathrooms. The Orchid has great bathrooms, even better than the HBP.

Beaches at the Marriott ("A-Bay") and Orchid are smaller compared to the HBP, and usually have lots more kids.

Snorkeling is best at the HBP/Mauna Kea.

The Orchid has a very structured, almost formal atmosphere, which some people love but we didn't care for too much. Lots of symmetrical plantings etc. We also didn't like the nickle-and-diming compared to the HBP -- they charged for cabanas, for equipment rental etc.

The Orchid is immediately north of the Mauna Lani (you take the same cutoff from Hwy 19).
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks...your info. on the BI is always great! Would you say that the Orchid is nicer than the other 2 or just different!

Anyone else have any comments on the Orchid?
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Hi Beachgirl86, I wrote a response last night and it went *poof* for some reason.

I definitely like the Orchid the most, only after the 4S. I was completely underwhelmed by the Hapuna though others really like it. The Orchid is definitely more grand. Good food, nice rooms with Aveda bath products. Also the views of the neighboring islands are amazing. And I musn't forget the sea turtles along the shore line. I think the Orchid is definitely the best choice.

Do keep an eye out on luxurylink.com, they periodically have auctions for this hotel (best shot auctions), on the club level/view for the same price as a standard room. I think cont. breakfast is also included but I'm not sure.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Having stayed at both properties multiple times, we prefer the HBP. But as travelinwifey illustrates it's a matter of personal opinion and taste, sort of like asking whether filet mignon or lobster is "better".

Both are wonderful properties. If you've already stayed at the HBP it might be a good idea to pick the Orchid, just so you can decide for yourself which one you prefer.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Well, I'll add one more to the mix and tell you I adored the Mauna Kea. It has an understated luxury and quiet breeziness that I loved. I wrote about it in my trip report here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34542623

Plus it's on that incredible beach that you'll never get tired of!

love
roxy
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 11:52 AM

We stayed at the Hapuna Prince this past August and highly recommend it. If you get a chance to go to another island Kauai is beautiful. Stay at the Hyatt. Beautiful place and surroundings.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, all. If we decide to go to the BI again, I am tempted to try the Orchid since the price is the same, but Hapuna was beautiful, too. We loved the beach at the Hapuna, but the turtles at Orchid sound wonderful! How are the balconies/views at the Orchid?
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 12:51 PM

I've been to the orchid four times and absolutely love it. There is a lava rock jacuzzi just off the beach from which you can watch the sunset. There are hammocks on the trees at the ocean. Each evening, they do the traditional lighting of the torches around the property. It is a little formal compared to some other hotels, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 03:43 PM

we booked a room at the Orchid for August of next year based mainly on the feedback given by people here.
my only fear: it may be too nice to drag myself away from!!!
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Stellaluna: When in August are you going? If we make the trip, that's when we'll be going, too!
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 04:44 PM

The balconies at the Orchid are spacious. The hotel is built in a u-type shape so most rooms have at least a partial ocean view. The turtles were one of the biggest bonus for me bacause I really enjoy wildlife. Hope this helps
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 03:56 AM

Hi beachgirl86: we will be there August 12-19: can't wait!!