Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Big Island Condos....need suggestions in Waikoloa area.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking for a 5 night condo rental ($250 or less for a 2 bedroom) for a family of 3 (2 adults and a 7 yr old) in the Waikoloa area.

I've just begun researching (VRBO.com) and the Mauna Lani Condos look like they fit the bill with many amenities on the resort property.

Any other options we should check out?

Mahalo nui loa.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 06:25 PM

You might also look at www.tug2.net. We stayed at Paniolo Greens. Many timeshare owners rent their units, although probably not as cheaply as you are looking for (unless that is a nightly rate...).
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Thx, I'll check it out.

$250 or less per night.

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 08:46 PM

We have had no problems finding condos on the Big Island, Maui, and Kaui simply by googling...condos (which island)

But we aware of the terms. You do not want an "ocean view" condo you want an "ocean front" condo. "Ocean view" often means you can get a glimpse if you squint out of a side window.

Then read the descriptions with a fine tooth comb.

You should be able to get a rather fancy one for $250/night, in my experience.

I am a little leery of vrbo sometimes. By googling I usually get the management of the condo complex which is handling the rental for the owner. We have been burned by owner ads...not in Hawaii because we haven't used vrbo there, but elsewhere.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 05:25 PM

We've stayed at Vista Waikoloa, renting thru South Kohala management.
Never tried VRBO.

2 bedroom garden view with 2 or 2.5 baths should rent for less than 250. They have laundry in each condo & air conditioning and are walking distance from King's Shops, the Marriott and the Hilton.

Mauna Lani might be more upscale, I'm not familiar with them though.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 12:41 PM

I'm also planning on staying in condos in Waikoloa area in March. I can't make any recommendations because I haven't been there yet, but I've become a little familiar with the condos/prices. VRBO is new to me, but I'm finding that alot of the listings hook you up with a property manager anyway. The Kauai condo we're dealing with the owner, but for B.I. the initial contact was with the owner but am now dealing with a property manager.

In Waikoloa Resort you might try looking up these condos through VRBO: Vista Waikola, Waikoloa Beach Villas, Fairway Villas, Colony Villas. We're staying at 'Kolea' thru VRBO. It's pricier because it's new and closest to A-Bay.

In Mauna Lani Resort, Mauna Lani Terrace seems to be the pricier one because of it's location to the water. We were looking at it before we decided on Waikoloa. Try Mauna Lani Point or The Fairways.

Check out http://www.wizardpub.com/bigisland/bigresort.html

Here's a link to some maps of the resort though they're hard to read: http://alohahawaiivacations.com/bigislandmaps.html

and go to trip advisor reviews.

Good luck. Happy planning.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Sancam,

Mahalo for those great links. That aerial photo is perfect to see how close the resorts really are to the ocean.

I like the look of Kolea which I'll check out thru VRBO.

Thx again. I'll let you know what I find.

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. I have bookmarked and saved all of your valuable tips for another trip to BI in the future where a condo may be needed.

We totally changed gears and ended up scoring on Priceline by bidding $140 a night for a Resort in Waikoloa and was (surprisingly) awarded with the Waikoloa Marriott. Even with taxes, resort fees and parking, we're saving a bundle. Although we'll miss having a kitchen and room to spread out, we're very pleased.

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 08:13 AM

Wow, what a price! Congratulations. Friends stayed there two years ago and loved it. We always stay at the Hapuna, but I will definitely keep that in mind for next time.