Reload this Page >

Big Island best places to snorkle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 02:24 PM
sammantha

I'm taking my first trip to the Big Island this Nov. I would love suggestions on places for snorkleing. Has anyone been to the Kapoho Tide Pools? This place sounds great but you never know until you get there. Thanks.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 02:59 PM
JMM

We liked the snorkeling at Kealakakua Bay near Captain Cook's monument

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 03:54 PM
pdxer

I also vote for Captain Cook monument. Rent kayaks and paddle over there, or you can take a snorkle boat cruise. Another good place is a public park that I can never remember the name of, a couple of miles south of Kona town. This is a very easy area to get to and good snorkeling just off shore. A good spot for beginners.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Laurie

I think the name of the park pdxer is refering to is Kahaku'u Beach Park. We enjoyed great snorkeling at both places mentioned so far-also great snorkeling at Place of Refuge.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Laurie

Sorry for the typo-it is Kahalu'u Beach Park.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:54 PM
yo

yes, kahalu'u beach park is amazing, even better than hanauma bay on oahu. i've heard kealakakua bay is also great, but we didn't make it there. we stayed in the ohana keahou beach resort right next to kahaluu beach park and so we never left it (were only there a couple days).

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Marilyn

Try kealakakua bay - and kayak over to Captain Cook's monument. The snorkeling there is great,lots of coral. However, the entry isn't very easy. However, it was worth it because we saw dolphins on the way over. It was pretty neat - they were around our kayak.
There is also a preserve on the Big Island, although I can't remember the name of it. Ton of fish there, and a very easy spot to snorkel, crowded though.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Molly

You can also hike to the monument and snorkling. Sorry, I can't recall exactly where the trail originates. Not an easy hike, as it's over rough lava, but scenic and doable if you're in reasonably fit shape.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Kameha

I agree with the other posts, but there is another place and I'm sorry I can't remember the name. But, it's south of Kona - about 20 minutes by car and it's a State or National Park - it's a refuge actually. You turn off for that refuge and then right before you get to it, you turn right on a side road and you'll see a lot of divers and snorkelers entering the water off of some lava rocks. The only problem - and it's a small one - is there are a lot of sea urchins attached to the lava rocks so you have to use some caution entering the water. But we saw turtles and lots of other nice sea life there. Anyone know the name of the place I'm talking about?

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 11:47 AM
pdxer

It's Honaunau Bay (not sure if spelling is right). It's right next to Place of Refuge. We snorkeled there too and it was good. Lots of turtles, water was a little rough when we were there. Captain Cook monument was better.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 09:20 PM
maw

Sammantha, you MUST get the book "The Big Island Revealed" by Wizard Publications, absolutely awesome and up to date if you get the most current THIRD EDITION. It has detailed reviews, descriptions and directions to all the beaches and best snorkeling spots, as well as tons of other info about the island.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 12:59 PM

to the top!

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 04:43 PM
sammantha

Thanks all for the info! I'm looking very forward to trying some of your suggestions.