Big Island and Maui: 11 nights

Aug 15th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Big Island and Maui: 11 nights

Hi all,

We're planning on spending 11 nights in Hawaii (just 2 adults), flying into Kona and out of Maui in October.

Our original plan was to spend 5 nights in Kona and 6 nights at the Hyatt Regency Maui. But now we're having some serious second thoughts about our itinerary.

Another option would be to do 3-4 nights on the Big Island (east side to see Hilo and the Volcanoes) and 7-8 nights on Maui (more for relaxing).

Neither of us have been to Hawaii in several years. Neither of us have been to the Big Island. We are both in our early 30s, want a mixture of activity and relaxation (but nothing rushed) and love good food.

Some questions we have for anyone who is willing to help:

1) Are we going to feel too rushed doing the 5 night/6 night split? Are we better off picking just one Island?

2) We'd prefer hotels that are not so crowded that we have to camp out early at the pool to get a chair or where we would have big waits for breakfast. Is that going to be an issue at the Hyatt? Should we give up the Kaanapali area completely and splurge on a resort in Wailea?

3) What's the weather generally like on the East side of the Big Island in October? Should we expect a lot of rain?

Thanks everyone!
Aug 15th, 2010, 04:58 PM

I would spend more time on the Big Island 5-6 nts. Hapuna Prince or Mauna Kea Beach Resort share the best beaches on the island.
Aug 15th, 2010, 05:58 PM

The Big Island is large and deserves more than 3-4 nights to see much of anything. I'd go with 6 nights TBI.

Yes, Hapuna Prince Hotel or Mauna Kea Hotels have the best beaches.
Aug 15th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses!

One thought would be just to spend the whole 11 nights on the Big Island. Would that be your recommendation? Do the relaxing/beach thing on the Big Island rather than going to Maui?

If so, how would you split up the time? 4 nights on the East side and 7 on the West?
Aug 15th, 2010, 09:43 PM

6 nights Big Island, 5 nights Maui.

Lots of info. Ignore the Oahu info. Lots of good sites for all islands:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm

For a free Hawaii brochure & a free brochure for each island:

1-800-GOHAWAII
Aug 16th, 2010, 05:58 AM

Hyatt does get busy during holiday periods, but October should be fine. Unlees you arent coming back, I'd spend all my time at one Island.
Aug 16th, 2010, 09:50 AM

Just remember you lose the better part of day traveling between islands. The Big Island has a lot to offer and I could easily spend 11 nts there. If you stay on the BI the entire time, I'd spend 2 nts near volcano. enjoy!
Aug 16th, 2010, 10:11 AM

<<>>

Well, half a day, maybe
Aug 16th, 2010, 10:22 AM

Wow 11 nights – that’s heavenly. We split 7 nights between BI and Maui and had a wonderful time. Didn’t feel rushed. I can’t say I’d want to be either place for 11 nights instead of splitting it, but that’s just us. A 5/6 split no matter which way it goes will be fantastic. We just loved staying at the Maui Hyatt. We were there in the fall and there was no one around.
Aug 16th, 2010, 04:59 PM

sf7307.....checking out, dropping off car, waiting at airport, short flight, getting rental car, checking in to new hotel.....I stand by my statement
Aug 16th, 2010, 07:39 PM

I've done it many times, and I'm always at my second hotel by 1:00 (2:00 if we stop for lunch on the way).
Aug 16th, 2010, 08:14 PM

Don't skip Maui. You'll have a different experience from the big island. And with the amount of time you have to spend, you'll be ready for a change.
Aug 16th, 2010, 09:16 PM

A night dive/snorkel with the Manta Rays off Kona is unmissable. Easily, one of the most amazing things I've done.

Allow a couple of days at the Volcano National Park. There are lots of great walks to do. We spent three days at the park and could easily have doubled it.
Aug 19th, 2010, 12:18 PM

We were at the Hyatt in Maui last October. Fantastic hotel and definitely not that crowded in October. Had no problems sitting by the pool or going to eat whenever we wanted.
Aug 19th, 2010, 06:29 PM

Hello. The beaches on the big island are more rockey than on Maui. Kaanapali Beach is so beautiful. We have stayed at a condo located inside the Kaanapali Villas. I know some of the units are not as nice as others. We book directly with the owner. It is absolutely beautiful. I can even have my husband send you photos of the unit we have boooked four times. We have stayed at the same hotel six different times though. It is like our own private beach there. Plus you can sit on the grass under the trees if you don't want to sit on the sand or by one of the three pools. We sometimes just eat at the Castaways restuarant, which is overlooking the ocean. It is right on the property. We stayed at the Hyatt on Kauai a year ago, but would take our little special condo any day. We haven't been back to the big island, in more than 18 years. The sand is black there and we just prefer Maui. We have friends who lie on Kona, but we just haven't wanted to go anywhere else, but to Maui. It takes a really long time to get to Kona from the aiport on the big island. Then again it takes about an hour to get from the aiport in Maui to Kaanapali Beach also. There is a Costco on both islands. In fact the one in Maui is right next to the airport.
Aug 19th, 2010, 06:43 PM

The airport is in Kona and the other in Hilo. Getting to Mauna Kea Beach or Hapuna Prince takes approx 30-40 minutes. If you've never been to either beach, you need to go. Both are among the best on all the islands. Not as large as some of the other islands but the sand and waves are spectacular...not black sand like near the volcano. I'm a bit prejudice having lived on the Big Island, but I would go to Kauai over Maui. Regardless...Enjoy!
Aug 19th, 2010, 06:45 PM

elaine, the condo sounds wonderful. I'd love more info on it if you want to share.

But, I disagree about the airport on the Big Island. It's just a few minutes from the hotels I've stayed at on the BI.
Aug 20th, 2010, 05:11 AM

Kohola Coast is pretty close to Kona airport, but there can be some pretty messy traffic jams that can make that an 1 1/2 hr drive. There was a day that I would choose BI over Kauai, but I'd probably reverse that now with Maui still being my top pick. IMO- BI didnt plan their growth as well as Maui did.

On the subject of changing Islands, I'm in the camp of staying in one place. There is soooo much to do, I see no reason spending a day or even a half day moving around.
Aug 20th, 2010, 05:36 AM

I see no reason spending a day or even a half day moving <<>>