Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Big Island - 12 nights too long? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/big-island-12-nights-too-long-599933/)

linda8 Mar 17th, 2006 04:31 AM

Big Island - 12 nights too long?

Hubby & 2 teen kids want to go to Big Island for 12 nights. I fear that this may be too long. We have Hilton Points, so hotel is free. I have images of volcanoes and black sand beaches, which I admit doesn't interest me. We do love snorkeling, but is this island desert-looking, not "tropical" looking like the others? Does it still have lots of pretty green trees and pretty beaches? What to do there for 12 days? Thanks.

sfamylou Mar 17th, 2006 04:54 AM

BI is my favorite island. I really like the black rocks; it reminds me I'm on a volcano. I think if you have the time, enjoy it. You can do Mauna Kea and the Volcano Park and explore beaches and then also relax at the Hilton. The time will melt away; it always does there!

kamahinaohoku Mar 17th, 2006 05:09 AM

Sorry - in my opinion, spending 12 nights on the BI is definitely too long for someone who is looking for lush green tropical foliage. Pretty beachs? The ones north of Kona airport are beautiful because they're man made...and connected to the hotels that made them. The island is really too "new" to have made its own sand, so you won't find the abundance of nice sandy beaches as you move around the island.

If you have Hilton points, I'd suggest you spend 4-5 nights at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu, and spend your days there exploring the north shore and Kailua/Lanikai for great beaches. That would still give you 7-8 nights on the Big Island.
((S))((*))

highflyer Mar 17th, 2006 05:15 AM

We love BI and for our first trip there we had 11 days and wished we could have stayed longer!

Even though your hotel is free you might want to stay around the other side of the island for at least 1 night (near the volcano) as it's a looong daytrip otherwise.

Yes, BI has it's tropical side and it's all desert looking.... get the BI Revealed Book and you'll see for yourself.

As to what to do .... there's hiking, snorkeling, pretty beaches plus a green sand beach and black sand beaches and lots more....enjoy!

highflyer Mar 17th, 2006 05:17 AM

That was it ISN'T all desert looking!

MerryTravel Mar 17th, 2006 05:17 AM

There are amazing rainforests on the Big Island, but they'll be on the opposite side of the island from you. Twelve days on the BI sounds like heaven to me, but I agree that you might want to split up your trip and do a few days on Oahu, too.

kamahinaohoku Mar 17th, 2006 05:45 AM

Yes there are amazing rainforests on the Hilo side of the island. But for me, the thought of having to drive 2-3 hours each way to spend time there just wouldn't cut it...and besides, Hilo is usually rainy as well. Driving through all that lava on the Kona side for extended periods of time just doesn't excite me. In all honesty, the BI is not my favorite island, Kauai is. I'm just not a lava lover either. ;)
((S))((*))

ChristieP Mar 17th, 2006 05:58 AM

I'll recommend splitting your time up between the Hilo/Volcano side and the Kona side. The BI is indeed BIG, and the driving over to the greener side from Kona will get very old.

The island is not desert-looking like Aruba. It is a very unique place! Yes, there are white sand beaches, but they are all on the Kona side. The black sand beach just south of VNP is beautiful!!

We were there for 10 days, and I wish I could have had a couple more. The snorkeling was excellent, and I didn't get to do enough of that. (I loved seeing the sea turtles in the surf!) I could also have done more hiking at VNP. The small art galleries and local shops were fun! My personal favorite place for shopping was Haiwi on the north Kohala coast.

linda8 Mar 17th, 2006 06:31 AM

Thanks to all!
Linda

colombiana Mar 17th, 2006 07:26 AM

I have to agree with Kamahinaohoku 12 days is a little to much make sure you go to the green sand beach (when I went the first time I missed it, saw a book on the way out talking about it said you needed a 4 X 4 2nd time I went rented the 4 X 4 and they had closed the road you could only walk too it) it's about 1 hour but it is well worth it.

garyt22 Mar 17th, 2006 07:36 AM

I agree with those who advocate a split with the Hilton Hawaiian Village... there is a perfect balance between the nature of BI and the culture and fun of Oahu.... the teens can surf, you can visit Duke's, shop, ride up to the North Shore, climb Diamondhead, see the culture show at poolside and many more... you won't regret the change...

GloriaE Mar 17th, 2006 08:27 AM

I live in California and own a home on the lush green east side of the Big Island. I visit several times a year for a couple of weeks at a time for the last five years. I have not even began to touch all of the wonders of the Big Island.

Hapuna beach and the beach at Mauna Kea are picture prefect and near your Hilton Hotel. Neither are man made beaches. Snorkeling is great on the north side of Hapuna Beach near the hotel there is a little cove with good snorkeling. Also, Kealakekua Bay at the Captain Cook monument south of Kona has some of the best snorkeling on all of the islands. You can reach it by kayaking across the bay.

South of Kona - Pu'uhonua O Honaunau or "Place of Refuge" National Historical Park is one of the most beautifully Hawaiian locations you can imagine. This National Historic Site is one of the best locations for learning about ancient Hawaiian life. Demonstrations of local skills are often happening here. Also, good snorkling here just outside the park on the lava bench (called “Two Steps”). Lots of sea turtles can be seen both while in the park and outside at the snorkle spot.

Mauna Kea Mountain Observatories:
For more info. call 808-974-6200. Onizuka Visitors' Center on Mauna Kea. Astronomy exhibits, sometimes telescope views at night. Phone (808) 961 2180 for information and in and advance for reservations.On the web, goto: http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/

There are wonderful waterfalls on the Hamakua Coast, along with the Botanical Gardens.Akaka Falls: Pleasant self-guided walk through lush tropical vegetation and to scenic vista points overlooking the cascading Kahuna Falls and the free-falling 'Akaka Falls which plunges 442 feet into a stream-eroded gorge. The 0.4-mile loop footpath.
Akaka Falls and Onomea Drive near Hilo are both lush and exotic. Take Hwy. 220 through the quaint little town of Honomu. Flowers, bamboo, palms, orchids, and philodendron leaves as big as an elephant's ear are all growing wild. I saw wild white ginger about two stories tall here and a hugh banyan tree.

There are great outdoor markets in Kona, Hilo and the Puna District.

Waipi'o Valley
The Valley of the Kings is beautiful to see from the overlook, but to see the huge waterfall below you, take a 4 wheel trip down to the black sand beach, with the wild horses that live beneath the soft ironwood pines likely walking next to you. (the land scene at the end of Kevin Costner’s Waterworld movie was filed here at the beach.)

As for Volcanos National Park - if you are lucky enough to see it, it's hard not to be moved by hot lava pouring into the ocean in a lava waterfall. Newest land on earth.

Yes, sometimes it rains - it would not be a tropical rain forest without rain.

I love the Big Island. I could be there for months and never get bored. Have a great time whatever you choose.

JC98 Mar 17th, 2006 09:12 AM

We were on BI for 6 nights, and crammed a lot of stuff in, hitting all the highlights. It was one of our most adventurous vacation as the landscape and climate was so diverse. We would have liked to spend a few more days, just to relax.

Where the Hilton is located, the beaches are white sand and the snorkeling excellent. Check out Hapuna Beach--sparkling listerine water, white sand. My hubby was so happy bodysurfing there, he felt like he was in heaven. Mauna Kea Beach was nice too, great for snorkeling.

But I don't know about staying for 12 nights. You might want to split the time on another island.

wtm003 Mar 17th, 2006 10:53 AM

Are you aware that the Hilton on the Big Island does not have a swimmable beach? You would still be close to Hapuna, Mauna Kea and A-Bay, though.

I love the Big Island. I spent 10 days on the Big Island and did not get to do or see everything I had planned. I have to agree with others, though, who feel 12 days is too many for you if you are mainly looking for a lush, tropical environment. Personally, I find the black lava fields beautiful.

CaliNurse Mar 17th, 2006 11:34 AM

IF you were planning to spend the entire 12 days at the Waikoloa Hilton, IMHO 12 days is too long--i.e not necesarily too long on BI, but too long to stay in that one part and "commute" to other parts of the island.
If you want to use Hilton points exclusively for your trip, agree with above recs to split days between HHV in Hololulu, and HiIton Waikoloa.
If you are NOT tied into using just Hilton hotels, consider splitting those 12 days on BI between that Northwest corner of the island by the Hilton, and a lusher part--either Hilo area, or Kona/Keauhou area.
There is a lovely beach within walking distance of the Hilton on Big island. It's a waterfront, fallen-coconut-laden path, to get to, or you could have a quick drive , or take the (free)Waikoloa shuttle to the Marriott. It fronts the Marriott, also in the Waikoloa area. The beach is A Bay--stands for Aneemahulu (sp?) Bay.
Re: the volcanic look, i recall a passenger on flight into Kona as we landed, asking , "Did they drop a bomb here?" Do prepare yourself for that drive up from the airport, and your first view of BI as you land at the Kona airport--you'll see nothing but black rock and wonder "Is that all there is?" The resorts along the coast there remind me of desert oases--you're driving from barren looking fields of black rock, turn West off the main road, and voila: palm tree, lovely oceanside resorts.
Waikoloa has a nice area with shops/food court/restaurants. Interstng to walk among the heiroglyphs there.

linda8 Mar 18th, 2006 08:35 AM

Thanks to everyone! Don't think we can change our flights unfortunately to add another island, but we might get another hotel on the Hilo side for, say, 3 nights?

ChristieP Mar 18th, 2006 08:58 AM

That sounds like a much better plan. Check out staying in Volcano Village. There are many B&Bs and cottage rentals, and the Kilauea Lodge.

garyt22 Mar 18th, 2006 09:38 AM

You can always "drop in" another island trip into your itinerary... interisland flights are reasonable and it may be cheaper than paying for another room on the BI... make sure you explore all options... especially if you are not a frequent visitor to the islands...

trippinkpj Mar 18th, 2006 01:15 PM

12 nights on the Big Island isn't too long, although I agree with splitting the time between Waikaloa and either Hilo or Volcano Village area. We stayed at the Bay Club there (now a Hilton GV property) for one week, a few years back. We liked it, but ended up driving a lot to other areas of the island. We just aren't resort type of people. We like staying at B&B's in more luch area's when we are in Hawaii.

starrsville Mar 18th, 2006 03:13 PM

No.

I stayed at the Hilton for 7 days on free points and then spent 4 days at the Four Seasons. I really enjoyed having lots of time on the island. We did stay at Waikiki on Oahu on the way over and took a short trip to Kauia.

I do like the idea of staying in Oahu first for maybe 3 nights before going to the BI. It would be a great mix of experiences.

We did drive over to Volcano NP via a circular drive of the island and stayed at a B&B in Volcano that night. We didn't check out of the Hilton, just took an overnight jaunt. It worked great. We were able to see a lot during those 2 days, weren't exhausted and since the Hilton room was free, didn't feel wasteful by paying for a night on the other side of the island.