BI or Maui with teenage girl?

Feb 19th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

BI or Maui with teenage girl?

I am taking my 17 year old daughter to Hawaii for 6 days in July and wanted some help on choosing an island. (I do not want to go to more than one.) Some background: we have been to Kauai and stayed and the Hyatt Regency loved it. The problem: my daughter and I have different priorities. She wants a nice (expensive) hotel with a great beach, choice of pools, and nice areas to lounge. I want to see beautiful scenery and historic sights. I like hiking and exploring. Any assistance with this choice will be appreciated.
Feb 19th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Your choices for a hotel with a nice beach on the Big Island is severly limited to pretty much just Hapuna. You will have more choices on Maui, either Wailea or Kaanapali. My suggestions is Grand Wailea for the fabulous pools, or Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali.
Feb 19th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Am traveling in May with my 20 year-old daughter to the Big Island. Staying 5 nights at the Hapuna Prince -- her priorities were to see the volcano,maybe a spa treatment, mine to see some great gardens, flower farms and a little golf.

Decided to pass on Wakiki and just head to the BI. Daughter not 21 -- so the nightclub scene not so important. However, I did schedule a couple of night activities -- a luau, a night snokel with the manta-rays and weather permitting -- a trip to the star-gazing program at Mauna Kea. Of course, at the Volcano - you want to see it glow at night - so a night stay there will help. We are spending 10 nights - flying in/out of Hilo. You probably be better off flying in/out of Kona. I am excited for this trip as it is my first time -- used many tips from this forum and the tripadvisor Island of Hawaii forum as well. Many helpful folks -- also -- take a look at the Big Island Revealed travel guides -- I found it to be very helpful as well.
Feb 19th, 2006, 03:08 PM

If you want fabulous pools, as someone already mentioned, the Grand Weilea is the place to go. There is some scenery on Maui, you can go up to Haleakela, and there are several other places to go, like along the road to Hana.

However, depending on what kind of scenery you want, the BI might be better because Volcanoes NP which offers a lot to see. There are some hotels with nice pools, look into the Hilton Waikaloa, but again soemtimes the "best pools" are the ones that might be geared more towards the kids, rahter than a 17 year old.
Feb 19th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I am leaning towards the Big Island because it looks to have some amazing scenery. I think that I can get my daughter to give up the beach as long as I can get a great pool. (BTW we have a pool, live in So. Cal and she did not use it at all last summer.) The manta ray swim sounds like something that she would be interested in because she loves animals. I think that she will also want to see the volcanos. Thanks.
Feb 20th, 2006, 06:43 AM
ceg

We have been to both islands with our teenage daughters and they much preferred Maui. You will find great scenery on both islands. The BI is more volcanic rock and Maui more tropical with more choices for beaches and resorts. (I did like the BI.)
Feb 20th, 2006, 08:55 AM

I would stay in Maui and do a one day trip to the Big island. Fly into Hana, as it is much closer to Volcano National Park. Stay in the town of Volcano - a nice change from the beach areas.

IMO, the Big Island feels rather isolated. The best beach areas are not near towns, but surrounded by resorts, and rather spread out and sedate for a 17 year old. I know you don't want to visit more than one island, but you also don't want to hear days of complaining, either.
Feb 20th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Good point patg. Like most teenagers, she does complain when she is bored. I also began to reconsider the BI when I looked at the driving distances. Being in the car for any length of time is not her thing, unless she can drive, which the rental company will not allow. pagt and ceg, what did your daughters most enjoy on Maui?
Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:25 AM

I agree-lots and lots of driving on the BI. If you stay in Kaanapali resort, your daughter can walk from the hotel to the Whalers Village to shop, eat, hang out at the beach at her own leisure. It is much more convenient in that respect than the Wailea resort. In Wailea, walking to the Shops at Wailea from the hotel is not as convenient, and not as fun for a teenage girl, probably not as safe either.