Search

BI lodging location help & Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BI lodging location help & Kauai

Dear Fodorites,

You guys are awesome. I can't tell you how many times I've used this site to help plan my trips. After carefully researching for a couple of weeks, I have come up with the following... Let me know if I should change my itinerary, some I can't change and some I still have to plan...

I & my DB (boyfriend, I have no idea what the D means, but I have seen it used many times) are going to Kauai, Oahu (Pearl Harbor Only), and the BI from the Dec. 20th to the 31st.

Day 1: Arrive into Kauai - relax and get situated (staying in Poipu near the Hyatt)

Day 2 to 5 (21st to 25th): getting in some beach, tons of hiking, and taking in the natural sites.

Day 6 (25th): Depart Kauai in the evening arriving into HNL staying near the airport.

Day 7 (26th): Taking public transportation to Pearl Harbor and spending a few hours there. In the evening flying out to Kona.

* We wanted to fly in and out of HNL the same day, but had the issue of where to put our luggage so we opted to stay in HNL for one night.

Day 8 to 12 (27th to 31st): Here's where I need the most help. We arrive into Kona and fly out of Kona onthe 31st evening. I really want to see VNP but am confused about where to stay. Our trip is mostly for relaxing, hiking, and taking in the natural beauty. From what I've read, if you want a bit of peace and serenity, then staying in Kailua -Kona is not the best option. I would like to see the following:
1. VNP!!!
2. Mauna Kea
3. Waipio Valley
4. Sportfishing (We wanted to do this in Key West, but didn't get the chance)
5. Take in much of the scenery as possible, we both like to hike. There is so much to see, I feel like 5 days is not nearly enough but what can you do.
6. Relax also...

So where do we stay? Our flight on the 26th arrives into Kona, later in the evening and the flight out of Kona on the 31st, leaves in the late afternoon.

Any amount of help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't wait to go. Thanks again in advance!

Old Oct 12th, 2007, 06:56 AM

In Volcano we stayed one night at the Kilauea Lodge - really cute place with a good restaurant. We stayed in a little cottage and had a fireplace, which was nice because it got cool at night in this area. We drove around the island and saw Waipio Valley, Akaka Falls, etc. and ended at the Hapuna Beach Prince - really great beach location and very pretty.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 07:04 AM

The "D" usually stands for "Dear" -- as in "Dear Boyfriend" or "Dear Wife", etc.

Old Oct 12th, 2007, 07:47 AM

First of all, I don't think you can do all you would like to on the BI and do any relaxing. I would either eliminate fishing or Mauna Kea.

That said--I would stay on the Kona side for the first 3 nights (Dec 26, 27, 28.) You might consider bed and breakfasts - this web site has some of them listed. http://www.bbonline.com/hi/region4.html Hulualoa might be nice--it is a little town above Kailua with a great view of the coast and keeps you out of the the crowds etc of Kailua. South Kona is also nice--you have Kealakakua Bay and Place of Refuge and some good snorkeling. You also might consider one of the Kohala Coast resorts (though don't know what your budget is and you will be on the BI during a very busy time--In fact, you need to start looking for places to stay ASAP due to that fact.)

The charter fishing boats leave from Honokohau Harbor which is just north of Kailua. Doing even a half day charter will take the better part of one day.

It's not clear from your post if you plan to drive up Mauna Kea or are taking a tour. But, either way, that will take the better part of another day. (And if you intend to drive yourselves, check with your car rental company to see if they allow it.)

On the 29th, drive to Volcano stopping at Waipio Valley, Akaka Falls, Hawaiian Tropical Botanic Gardens on the way Spend the nights of 29th and 30th in Volcano. On the 30th, tour VNP, hike across Kiluea Iki, drive the Chain of Craters road to the sea.

On the 31st, drive back to Kona stopping at either Hapuna Beach or A-Bay on the Kohala Coast to catch some beach time before going to the airport to catch your flight out.

Old Oct 12th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks martym,
I have read many of your posts. Seems like you go to the BI quite a bit. I hate to cut out the fishing part because my BF wanted to go in Key West too, but didn't have time. I wonder if we can go fishing in Kauai? Is there a road that goes around the entire island of the BI? In terms of Mauna Kea, I haven't done the research to know if it's easier to drive ourselves or take a tour. Thank you for the input on where to stay, that was my biggest dilemma.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Yes, there is a highway around the BI--suggest you get a map (you can order one from Amazon, I'm sure) For me, it's always helpful if I can see where towns, beaches, etc are in relation to other towns, beaches etc.

DH and I have been to the BI eight times since 2000 and are going again in Nov. and have never gone to Mauna Kea--perhaps because we live in Colorado. There are tours that will take you to the top at night which people really seem to like--but they are expensive. You are not allowed to drive to the top yourself but can drive as far as the visitors center. If you think you want to do this, be sure your car rental company allows you to take the car on the Saddle Road and the road up Mauna Kea. (Most car rental companies do not allow driving into Waipio Valley, either--you can take a tour or if you are in reasonably good shape you can hike down and back up--it's not far, but very steep. Or you can do what people do if you don't want to hike back up--hold up ten or twenty dollar bill and one of the locals will probably give you a ride to the top.)

I don't know about deep sea fishing in Kauai. I do know Kona advertises itself and the sport fishing capital of Hawaii, for what it's worth.