BI: Fairmont Orchid vs. Marriott Waikoloa?

May 17th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

BI: Fairmont Orchid vs. Marriott Waikoloa?

DH and I will be going to the BI in August. We have been a couple of times before and have stayed at Hapuna Beach Prince Resort (loved it) and Marriott Waikoloa before the renovation. We're just looking for something new this trip possibly.

This trip, I am looking at the Marriott again because it's all new, but I've also always thought the Fairmont looked nice. The price is about the same for a week in each with breakfast for 2 every morning, although it would be an ocean view at the Marriott and a garden view at the Fairmont. However, we will be staying at the Sheraton Maui the next week with an ocean front deluxe room, so I'm not going to worry too much about the view differences.

Which is the better, nicer hotel since the Marriott has now renovated the whole hotel? Looking at the rooms, the service, the pools, the spa, the restaurants, the beach, etc...Can anyone compare the 2 breakfast buffets?

I'd love any info. or comparisons. Thanks so much!
May 17th, 2007, 12:37 PM

The Marriott Waikoloa has a $199/night special on their gardenview rooms. If you use rate code "M11" and enter your Marriott Rewards number, you can get an oceanview room for $319 (without breakfast). It might be better to take one of those rates and pay for breakfast. The breakfast rate is saw online was $419 for oceanview.
May 17th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I found a better rate for ocean view with breakfast for under $400/night on Travel Hawaii. That's why it was the same as the Orchid's GV with breakfast.
May 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM
yk

Never been to both, but there's a thread recently which the OP didn't like the Fairmont Orchid at all:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34994824
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:56 PM

Topping this! I am trying to decide as well. I have points to pay for either one so that isn't a big concern. I have read all the trip reviews on Trip Advisor and both places get favorable reviews. Our main concern is a great beach where we can snorkle and nice pools as well as a nice room.
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:29 PM

I'm curious. How are you using points at a Fairmont? I didn't realize they are part of a point program and I stay at Fairmonts from time to time.

I've stayed at the Fairmont Orchid several times and always enjoyed it. I also stayed at Hapuna and I prefer the Fairmont. Sorry, I can't comment on the Marriott.
Aug 21st, 2007, 03:40 PM

I have American Express points in addition to Marriott points...I can use them on the Fairmont or I can redeem them for Marriott certificates to give me enough points.
Aug 21st, 2007, 04:30 PM

We stayed at the Fairmont in 2005 in August for our 25th Anniversary. We wouldn't go back(except for dinner @Brown's).The staff was extremely unhappy & rude. There were tons of unsupervised kids at the buffet & at the pool.It seemed run down. Hopefully you will choose a different place. We had also stayed at the Sheraton Maui. It was great. We can't say one back thing about it. The pool, beach,snorkeling around Black Rock,the food, the rooms, the property & the staff were awesome. We stayed a week & had a fabulous time. Enjoy. If you ever get a chance, stay in Kauai at the Princeville Resort.( It rounded out our trip). Best wishes for a fun trip.
Aug 21st, 2007, 09:39 PM

Well, I am booked at the Fairmont. I tried to coordinate using part Marriott Rewards points and part Amex Certificates good for the Marriott and after getting bounced around between Marriott's Reward Department, Marriotts reservation department and some Amex Rewards people I got frustrated and decided to just book the Fairmont through American Express. They certainly were unhelpful at the Marriott numbers. Made me feel like I was trying to pull a fast one!

Search this Thread