Search

Last Minute Maine

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Minute Maine

Hi all,

My husband and I suddenly have the opportunity to go to Maine for a few days the first week of October. We were thinking the southern coast area and will probably leave Thursday from Connecticut and come back Sunday night. I am trying to plan where to go and stay while my baby naps and my other two boys create havoc around me! Have little time to research and am hoping someone could offer an itinerary idea to help us have a great trip! Wondering if we should stay all three nights in one place or hop around? Many places seem to be booked up.....

About us : We like sightseeing but also a fair amount of relaxation time. Our usual pattern is sightseeing in the morning into afternoon but stopping for early cocktail hour. We like roadtrips but absolutely don't want to spend the entire trip driving. Husband loves boats. I love art, beautiful homes and gardens. We absolutely enjoy nice restaurants, beautiful hotels and maybe even dressing up a little at night if that is relevant for this part of the world.
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 02:32 PM

If you like fine dining, art, and dressing up, Ogunquit might be a good choice, at least for a night or two. Ogunquit is brimming with good restaurants and art galleries, and the Marginal Way walk is a great little hike for the whole family. Even though this is well past beach season, Ogunquit's beaches are considerd the best in Maine, and are fun to just stroll. You might also want to do a night in Portland - perhaps the best small city restaurant scene anywhere. Just outside of Portland are some very scenic drives - lighthouses, rocky coastline, etc. Another fun little town especially with kids is York Beach, which has an old timey downtown with lots of candy, ice cream, arcades, and a zoo. York Beach's Short Sands beach is pretty, as is Nubble Lighthouse.
Realize that early October is off season along the coast, and some things might be closed. Also bring warm clothes - the wind off the ocean can be biting this late in the season.
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.stageneck.com
www.pinkb.com
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 04:00 AM

Are the kids going, too? Southern Maine is probably far enough for you and agree with zootsi's recommendations. We really like the Dunes in Ogunquit which offers different accomodations ranging from motel room to full cottages in a nicely landscaped area. Fort Williams park just south of Portland is beautiful and has a great view of Casco Bay plus the light house. Had a nice sailboat ride out of Perkins Cove a couple of weeks ago.
But for beautiful hotel, maybe Wentworth by the Sea outside of Portsmouth NH is more your style. There are some great boat rides out of downtown Portsmouth. Just park in the parking garage and you can walk to the dock. Great downtown area for window shopping. Always recommend drive out Rt 1B. The other nice drive is to Kittery Point. (not near the outlet malls)
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 04:34 AM

You don't mention ages.

I'd choose Ogunquit. Anchorage might be a good hit with kids, as they have hot tubs and an indoor pool with ocean views right on the Marginal Walk. You could walk to Perkins Cove, go out on a Lobster boat (call ahead for autumnal schedule) and have a cocktail upstairs at MC's

http://www.anchoragebythesea.com/index.html

http://www.mcperkinscove.com/index.cfm

http://www.finestkindcruises.com/trips.htm

Spend one day traveling a few miles south on shore road to York. I think Animal Kingdom is closed but they may be still pulling taffee at the Goldenrod. There's a great children's park across the way at Short Sands Beach and of course Nubble Light up the road.

http://www.thegoldenrod.com

http://nubblelight.org

Then I'd spend another day driving a few miles north and exploring Kennebunkport, walking thru Rachel Carson's or Well's Reserve. If you like architecture check out the Episcopal Church. The stonework is amazing.

http://www.stannskennebunkport.org

Hope this gives you an idea or two.
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

oh boy! No kids, sorry should have made that more clear.
There are three of them under 5. That would be my idea of torture!!
This is a purely romantic getaway.... Was debating whether we wanted to drive all the way up to Camden (abour 5.5 hours) since so many guides say its the place to go, or if we want to stop closer to Ogunquit or Kennebunk.

Thank you for all your responses. Im going to review them at nap time and will probably be back with more questions. Thanks!
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 06:53 AM

That changes everything in regards to my recommendations.
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Sorry!! LookinGlass
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 07:11 AM

No worries, just rethinking it a bit. If you're up for a long drive, I'd say this time of year go for it to Camden/Rockport area and visit Mount Battie.

You could also spend your last night in Portland Maine, which has some really stellar restaurants.

Down south, Kenebunkport will be more upscale as far as inns and dining. In Ogunquit there are other lodging options I would choose without kids, so ignore that rec. Either town would be a great home base for short explorations and quiet times.

I'd decide which area and then just focus on that. Lots of dining and lovely lodging either way.
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 07:36 AM

dfrost, who'd you sail with. I love the old wooden Hinckley, if your husband is really into boats, steviegene. Bring warm clothes if you decide to go on the water be it a mail boat, a schooner, a lobster boat or the Silverlining.

http://silverliningsailing.com
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 12:42 PM

If budget isn't an issue, I would recommend staying at the Yachtsman in Kennebunkport and having dinner at the White Barn Inn if you can get a reservation - jackets required for men so there's your chance to dress up a bit. Make sure you try the fried clams and/or lobster rolls at the Clam Shack. Cute shops, nice walking town.
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 04:43 PM

nice suggestion irish! We stayed at the Yachtsman maybe 10 years ago. What I like is they took a single story strip motel and elevated it into a lovely appointed low profile lodging in a killer setting. Sipping morning coffee out on the lanai off season is a treat. It's been even longer since we've dined at White Barn, but the remain a force and this time of year the room really embraces the changing seasons.
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 02:01 AM

Lookin_Glass, I'm not sure that was the boat but it was a lovely sailboat. My friend made the arrangements. I think the sailboat we were on was slightly bigger but not a lot. I think there were only 6 passengers that trip.

OP, how far you go really depends on what kind of town you like. Southern Maine is not my favorite because there's too much traffic. We spent last weekend in Lincolnville just above Camden. Didn't go to the top of Mt Battie this trip but it is probably one of the prettiest views in Maine and will be incredible with fall colors which we were starting to see. Cellar Door Winery in Lincolnville (not the retail store on Rt 1) would make a nice visit for a tasting and you could choose a bottle to enjoy back in your room. Camden itself is pretty busy but the traffic isn't bad once you are out of the downtown area. You could also make a visit to the Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland which features Maine artists including all three Wyeths. If you go to Rockland there is also a winery just outside of town up on a hill. Beautiful building.

Without children I would also consider staying in Portland and visiting the Farnsworth and Mt Battie on a day trip. There is so much to do in Portland (haven't been to the art museum there). There is a lovely shore walk and plenty of benches in Fort Williams park so you can enjoy a different, quiet view of Casco Bay. Popular place but it's a huge park. We got lobster rolls from the food truck for our picnic lunch. But check their schedule Bite Into Maine.
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your great responses. After careful consideration I decided to drive up to MAine and stay one night in Portland and two in Camden. The Yachtsman was a great recommendation and we were tempted, but finally decided we did want to spend some time in Camden.

So my husband's birthday is Friday. We will be driving up from Portland to Camden. Any great ideas for special day? Recommendations for a really nice dinner?

thanks again,