Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Better/Cheaper to Upgrade now or on Arrival? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/better-cheaper-to-upgrade-now-or-on-arrival-629192/)

Ashley24 Jul 7th, 2006 04:16 PM

Better/Cheaper to Upgrade now or on Arrival?

I have a room at the Sheraton on the Falls in Niagara Falls (Ontario, Canada). I have a city view now but I would rather have a view of the falls if the price is right. Would it be better to upgrade now or wait until I arrive? Will I get a better deal later (if a room is available, of course). If no room is available, I won't be upset but I would be excited to get a good deal on a room with a great view. Anyone have experience with this?

Duane Jul 7th, 2006 04:24 PM

Hi Ashley,

Have never tried an upgrade at the hotel you are looking at but here is what I would do. Check online and call the hotel to see what the price of the room you want would be. If it is acceptable to you. book it.

If not, or you really aren't sure you want to spend the money, wait until you get there and then ask about the cost of an upgrade. Many, many times I have received an upgrade for a lot less than if I would have booked the room ahead of time. But, on the flip side there have been many times that the "special" room was not available.

So, if you are sure you want that type of room, book it. If not, wait until you get there and see what kind of deal you can swing. Be prepared to live with what you booked and be happy with it.

I always ask what the cost of the upgrade and upgrade would be. I never ask if they can upgrade me for free although it has happened many times.

Duane

PS Love the Falls and the whole tourist area including Clifton Hill!

Ashley24 Jul 7th, 2006 06:30 PM

Duane,
Thanks for your answer. Sounds good to me! I have heard posters mention that at check in they are asked if they would like to pay for an upgrade. We are staying in the middle of the week so I am hoping the hotel will not be fully booked. I have never been to the falls so I am quite excited to go. The Sheraton is located right in the middle of all the action by Clifton Hill. Any recommendations? Is Ripley's worth it? Our kids (2 families) are between the ages of 8 and 14. We are planning on doing the Maid of the Mist, White Water Walk, Journey Behind the falls, Butterfly cons., and probably the IMAX and one of the museums (Ripley's?).
Thanks!
Thanks again!

djkbooks Jul 7th, 2006 10:35 PM

I would recommend waiting until you get there. On the one hand, the location (in my opinion, the very best of all the hotels) is so magnificent, you may not want to pay the extra as the falls are right there when you walk out - American and Horseshoe. On the other hand, those balconies overlooking the Falls sure do look appealing! But, you would want to consider how much time you would really want to spend viewing the falls from your room...

We paid the extra for a fallsview room at the Hilton (I think it was). It was nice, but there are so many magnificent ways to enjoy the falls, we left quickly every morning and fell into bed as soon as we returned every evening.

Check availability for fallsview rooms and note the difference in price just before leaving home.

Whenever we have been offered an upgrade by the major chain hotels upon check-in, the difference has always been FAR less than if we had reserved the upgraded room ahead of time.

Ashley24 Jul 26th, 2006 03:34 AM

Well, I decided to call and ask about an upgrade. I had booked the room using my Starwood points so I had to wait until five days or less before arriving to get info about upgrading. The cost for upgrading from a city view standard room to a bi-level suite at the Sheraton On the Falls is $100. I accepted the offer and can't wait to enjoy that room! We are leaving later this afternoon, staying at the Holiday Inn at St. Catherines tonight since we will be arriving after 8 pm, but tomorrow morning we will check in at the Sheraton. Hoping to drop off our luggage with the bellhop and go enjoy the sites, returning later when our room is ready. I will post a trip report when we return. Thanks for all your help!