Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best Western Hospitality House (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-western-hospitality-house-576189/)

amelie Dec 14th, 2005 03:33 AM

Best Western Hospitality House

Has anyone stayed at The Best Western Hospitality House @ 145E 49 St? I've seen it mentioned on here in the past, but no solid comments on it from those that stayed there.

We are looking for a hotel for 4 adults (two couples). Two rooms in one would be nice, instead of getting seperate rooms. This is only my first starting point though, feeling very overwhelmed by finding a hotel....

amelie Dec 14th, 2005 03:42 AM

Well I just found some nice reviews on tripadvisor.com, but would love more.

I guess my real question is, what do you think of the location?

mclaurie Dec 14th, 2005 08:26 AM

The location is fine and reviews of the place are good. But the biggest problem is 1 bathroom for 4 adults??? Imo, it's great for a family with kids, but come on, not 2 couples. The Salisbury has 2 bed/2 bath suites and I think the Buckingham does too. Price will be more. An apartment is another idea.

lizziea06 Dec 14th, 2005 08:55 AM

My aunt was in town visting me and stayed at this hotel. I came up to visit her and have a drink before dinner. It is GREAT. I was blown away by the size of the suite - massive for a NY hotel (at $179/night), not to mention a NYC apartment:-)!

The suite has a nice large kitchen with a real (big!) fridge, and they stocked it with milk, english muffins, butter and jelly. There was also a dining room table, and the sitting area was very nice and roomy. I'm not sure if the couch in my aunt's room was a fold-out or not. The sitting area and kitchen make it a nice place to hang out and relax before heading out for the evening. The couple sleeping in the sitting area won't have a door, but if they don't mind, I'm sure it won't be a big deal.

Mind you, my perspective is that of a NYC shoebox dweller, but I was really impressed by the size and amenities of the suite.

amelie Dec 14th, 2005 01:21 PM

One bathroom is fine. It's fuor us and my in-laws. Their home in Scotland has only one bathroom, and I've stayed there for three weeks at a time, no problem. Our own home only has 1 full bath and 1/2 bath. I will check out the Salisburg again, but I think that is $500 more per night.

Thanks for the review! Any more specifics on location?

lizziea06 Dec 15th, 2005 09:57 AM

The neighborhood is fine - there are several cute restaurants on the block. It's a little bit more residential of a neighborhood, but that shouldn't deter you. The location is just east of many of the Midtown sights, so you can walk or take a short cab ride.

mclaurie Dec 15th, 2005 10:15 AM

Amelie, curious to know your dates, how big the suite is (1 or 2 bedrooms) and the price you got at the BW Hospitality. Several of the Affinia hotels have 2 bedroom/2 baths suites. The best prices I've seen for the Salisbury recently has been on hotels.com.

amelie Dec 15th, 2005 10:31 AM

I haven't booked anything yet. Just in the research phase. The dates are June 29th-July 3rd.
The price on The Best Western's site states 322 a night for 2 bedrooms. I cannot find where it says how many bathrooms that is.

I am leaning towards the Beacon now though. I have not gotten a price from them yet though on a 2 bedroom suite (have emailed).

The price I am seeing for the Salisbury is 489-519 for a 2 bedroom suite per night, or a single room in the 270 range. I will check hotel.com but I don't know how I feel about not purchasing directly from the hotel.

I also have an email to Lynden Gardens/Affinia Gardens on the rate of a two bedroom suite.

this is fun

mclaurie Dec 15th, 2005 11:09 AM

Checkinn on the BW website, I find their descriptions of the rooms very confusing. There does seem to be at least 1 room with 2 bathrooms, but I can't understand the bed situation and actual number of rooms. Many of the descriptions say the second bed is a sofabed. If you want 2 separate bedrooms and a joined living room, I think they have that, but you should doublecheck. The 2 bedroom may only have 2 twin beds. They have AAA rates and/or aarp/senior rates that are substantially less than the standard rates.

The Beacon is much clearer about their 2 bedrooms which do include 2 baths. Each bedroom has a double bed. It's a nice residential area.

You might also want to check on the Affinia 50.

amelie Dec 16th, 2005 03:42 AM

Got a response from The Beacon and it is 595 for the two bedroom suite. That is more than we want to spend (hopefully 200 or less per couple). I don't have my info near me now, but it seems to me a single bedroom at The Beacon was under $200. We may go that route. I'm starting to really like the appeal of being in a more residential area like the Upper West Side or the Upper East Side.

I will check out the Affinia 50 today, and get more info on the Best Western (which does seem a tad dodgey). Thank You.