Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been on my list of places that I want to travel to / things to do for quite a while.

I have never been to New Mexico but recently received airline reward and since Albuquerque is one of Southwest's locations it has renewed my interest.

I know it is late for this year - but I have found that some hotels are still available online (ie. Marriott Pyramid) but having never been to New Mexico was looking for recommendations regarding where would be best location to stay.

If we decide to do this will probably also combine visit with Santa Fe, Taos as I have read that the balloon fiesta really would only take a couple of days of our time in New Mexico.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:27 AM

We went to the balloon festival several years ago and loved it! We flew in and out of Albuquerque -
visited the festival twice - once early early in the morning as they were 'blowing up' the balloons and it was a site to see the entire area go from flat to rising balloons of all shapes and sizes - we stayed till after lunch time, watching some of them take off.

The next time we went was for the evening glow, arriving about an hour before sunset, which was also a sight when they are all lit up after sunset.

In between, we visited the city and the usual touristy lunch/shop/driving spots and also took a balloon ride ourselves, which was marvelous !

We then visited Bandelier National Park, Acoma Pueblo,
to Taos and Santa Fe on the Turquoise Trail, seeing all the sights along the way and the Taos Pueblo and coming back the High Road and seeing those sights.

If you put in the search bar on the US Forum, "Turquoise Trail" and "High Road" there are lots of threads regarding what to stop and see, the route, lodging, etc.

We stayed directly in Albuquerque and rented a car for our entire trip.

We thoroughly enjoyed this trip, and you will love the festival.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:29 AM

here is a link to a good lodging thread on santa fe/taos that might interest you
http://tinyurl.com/lbt7q

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Escargot!

Where did you stay when in Albuquerque?

Thanks for the link. I have started reading several other threads but if it will be difficult to find lodging during the fiesta I may wait until another time.

Is downtown too far or too much traffic for a good location during the fiesta?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:38 AM

We stayed with friends years ago to see this. What a treat and how amazing - you will never forget it. We were close enough to hear the hiss/roar of the balloons going aloft in early a.m and see their glow. Take the chair lift to the top of Sandia mtn - what a view! We also drove up to Taos/Santa Fe area - such different landscape than we have here on the east coast.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 11:46 AM

If you want to see NM at what is perhaps THE best time, Balloon Fiesta/October is it for sure!! The weather is cool in the early mornings [read that dress in layers] and then as the day progresses it gets warm. The cottonwoods along the Bosque are turning colors and the smell of pinon wood burning starts.

The Marriott Pyramid is close by as are several other choices: there is a Holiday Inn Express on Alameda Blvd. Also a Marriott Courtyard right next to pyramid. There is also Nativo, which used to be a Wyndham not far away.

The traffic can be heavy, but they offer shuttle buses from several locations that makes it painless. On the Westside of ABQ, at The Cottonwood Mall for example. If you wanted to stay a bit further away and catch the bus...try staying in Rio Rancho. It is 5 minutes to the Mall and there are several choices there, including Hilton Garden Inn, Best Western etc.

Viewing a Mass Ascention is a must do [what is when all the balloon go up at sunrise.] All the "Special Shapes" Ascention is a must do. And the "Special Shapes" Glow is a must do.

Santa Fe is an hours drive north, easy to do a day trip. Taos will be 2.5 hours or so, think about staying one night there.

There are great museums in Santa Fe and both have lots of art galleries.

There is lots to do in ABQ itself...taking the Tram up to top of Sandia Mtns, the Zoo, Aquarium and Botanical Garden. The Museum is good too. And of course, another must is Old Town.

Food is another matter, lots to choose from. If you click on my name, you should see other posts from me on this topic.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask me Q's. Until 6 months ago, when I moved to SW Colorado, I lived in ABQ.
Debi
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 01:50 PM

we were at Marriott courtyard, traffic wasn't a problem - yes certainly there is some as to be expected at any festival, but nothing that aggravated us - we didn't use any shuttle buses, b/c we would often go somewhere else before or after, - if you can get that room you mentioned, go for it !! you will love the festival and the whole area -
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help and good advice. I have another question. I have a week and am trying to determine the number of days at each location.

I am planning Fri-Mon at Albuquerque for the Balloon Fiesta. What about after that? Couple of days each at Sante Fe and Taos? or just one of the two?

I have been doing a LOT of reading because I know I need to get in gear if I'm gonna make this happen for October but am confusing myself.

Your help is appreciated!
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 01:18 PM

Are you arriving Friday or is Friday a full day ? I would want to be at the Festival at least one early morning when the balloons are filled and then start taking off, and then the rest of that day into night you could visit Old Town and whatever else interests you from the list.

The next day, early part you could explore more of Albuquerque and do the early evening/glo at the Festival.

Then the third day you could mix it up however - more of Albuquerque (if museums, gardens, etc interest you and at some point the Sandia Tram and dinner must be fit in !

Then, you could likely take off for the Sante Fe/Taos part of your trip - or make SF a day trip - this part depends on what you personally like to see/do in each area and if pueblos, and other spots interest you.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 02:58 PM

Not sure if you are talking about the first or second weekend of the fiesta so I can't be sure what events will be going on. I would check the schedule of events for the Fiesta, there aren't Glows every night and the Special Shape Ascentsion aren't on the Weekend.

http://www.balloonfiesta.com/scripts...ents_total.php

Also keep in mind, IF the conditions aren't right [weather isn't good -- windy etc] the Balloons do not go up. They also will not do the glow for same reasons [wind plays havoc with the balloons, even on the ground. They will not inflate/do a burn if wind is blowing for fear of buring the envelope [balloon]. And windy doesn't have to be much, a lot less that what you and I would call windy. Be sure to allow a contingent plan if the days you choose to go to the Fiesta are scrubbed due to weather conditions.

If you like musuems and galleries, 2 full days in Sante Fe should do. From there, I would go up to Taos in the morning, spend the night in Taos and then head back down at the end of next day. That would give you almost 2 full days in Taos. [You could switch a day from Taos to Santa Fe too if you needed more time there.] Los Alamos west of Santa Fe is interesting if you are into WW2...the museum there has lots of info on the Manhattan Project. Bandalier NP is near there too.

Either on the trip up or back from Santa Fe, be sure to take the Turquoise Trail instead of the Interstate. Stop in Madrid [pronounced MAD- rid, not MA- drid like in Spain] and check out the shops and my favorite...the glassblower studio across from The MineShaft Tavern. Have lunch there, it's a neat town that was a ghost town until not too long ago.

I would make sure you spend some time in ABQ and do take the Tram. Don't bother eating at the restaurant at the top {at last known name "High Finance"} it really isn't all that good & there are others that are better nearby.

Hope this helps!
Debi
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate all of the help that you all have given me and things are starting to come together - primary being that DH has agreed and requested the time off.

I have another question about my hotel during the fiesta, I can get the Marriott Pyramid, Nativo Lodge or Hotel Albuquerque all for around the same rate.

Any personal recommendations regarding these? Is one location better than the other? Preferences?

Is there another hotel that I should be considering or inquiring about? If so please let me know.

Thanks again!!!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:29 PM

#1 - Pyramid
#2 - Nativo

Haven't heard of Hotel Albuquerque.

Debi
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

The Hotel Albuquerque is the Hotel Albuquerque Old Town. It was listed on the New Mexico Heritage Hotels website. I thought the other two were close to the balloon fiesta but if there is something that I should consider in Old Town - I was trying to look there as well.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:19 PM

I think Nativo is not a particularly good choice. Yes, it is near the Balloon Park, but the fancy design work all went into the exterior and lobby. Rooms are very ordinary. Breakfast service desultory. Lobby noise and breakfast aromas drift up to all the rooms via the atrium lobby.
Vera
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:31 PM

Hotel Albuquerque was formerly known as Sheraton Old Town...I forgot. While the location is ok for doing things in that part of town...it is further [20 minutes south] from Fiesta Park. And when you want to be at the park at 6 am or so...every minute counts.

Another suggestion I have is Embassy Suites. It is really nice, clean, new and they have free "happy hour" every night and their hot, cooked to order breakfast is really good. It is conveniently located near the interstate for easy on and off, but no traffic noise to speak of in the rooms. We Stayed there in November and it was great.

Pyramid is good choice for location and should be fine.
Didn't know much about Nativo other than it is new name and they did visable outside renovations, it is right next to my husbands old office.

Hope this helps.
Debi
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

I just wanted to check back in and thank you all for your help. Since this was kind of a last minute decision and I'm sure things fill up because of the balloon fiesta I was a bit stressed about it.

I now have airline reservations, 3 nights at ElDorado in Sante Fe, 1 night Fechin Inn in Taos and 4 nights at the Marriott Pyramid.

I guess now all I have left is car rental and researching places to eat and things to do - which I have seen a lot of good posts for lately.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 06:52 PM

Good choice on the Fetchin Inn! And I think you will be happy with Pyramid. I just read the other review about Eldorado that you read too. Sorry I can't give you other ideas for Santa Fe.
Debi
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:23 PM

A couple of fun things to consider for your trip beyond the balloons:

1) El Rancho de las Golondrinas between ABQ and SF will be having its fall harvest festival 7 and 8 October. It is a 200 acre Hacienda built in the early 1700's. They have a web site.

2) Stop at the Casa Rodena Winery in ABQ. It is not far from the "Pyramid". It is s a beautiful property and worth
an afternoon visit. They have a web site.

3) The ABQ Sandia Peak tram is the worlds longest single span tramway. The tram takes you from ABQ to the top of the Sandia Mountains (10,500 ft). The ride takes 20 minutes and is breathtakingly beautiful.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 05:07 AM

So glad you are going!! You will have a wonderful time and get some amazing photos all along the way, not just at the festival -
don't forget to take notes for your trip report we will all be waiting to read when you return !
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 04:57 PM

~~~topping~~~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -