Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best Way to Thank Concierge? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-way-to-thank-concierge-518033/)

sk84fungirl Apr 3rd, 2005 07:40 AM

Best Way to Thank Concierge?

Hello there!

I have had the most pleasant experience with a young lady by the name of Penny at the Hyatt Maui. She is part of the concierge team.

Based on past information from this board, I contacted the hotel to help me make plans for some of the touristy stuff. I got hooked up with Penny and she has been the bomb!

Going to the hotel website to send a message to the managment staff, will send an "Atlanta" thank you when I return from my trip...what else can I do?

I read somewhere that you are not supposed to give gratuities. Is this true?

What are your thoughts?

Cassandra Apr 3rd, 2005 07:50 AM

Concierges depend on gratuities, big time!

I've been told $5 for dinner reservations, at least that much for hard-to-get show tickets and more -- $10, 20 and up (depending in part on the price of the tix as well as difficulty). If she's done more than 5 min. work for you, tip her as generously as you can.

If you want to go beyond the "dirty dollar" to thank her, send a letter to the hotel manager (and copy her in, certainly), but don't stint on the tip.

Patrick Apr 3rd, 2005 08:44 AM

I think someone has given you bad information. Trust me. The concierge would much prefer you give her a tip in cash than any other "gift". Writing a letter to her (and to her boss) is a nice touch too, though.

HowardR Apr 3rd, 2005 08:46 AM

A gratuity and a letter to management are both in order. Inferring from your posting that Penny was a big help, I would think AT LEAST a $20 gratuity is in order.
Where did you hear that you're not supposed to give gratuities? Once is a while a facility will have that rule, but it's not the norm. And, if gratuities are not allowed, the facility will make you well aware of that policy.

nytraveler Apr 3rd, 2005 11:17 AM

Agree that concierges should be- and expect to be - tipped for all except the most basic serices (handing out maps/tour booklets, giving directions - or sellliing you a set tour - for which they get a commission). $5 to $25 -depending on service.

And if they're done something really special they should be compensated appropriately - if they get you $500 tickets to a sold out show $25 IS NOT appropriate.

Gekko Apr 3rd, 2005 11:38 AM

<b>$$$$$$$</b>

Sure, a letter is <i>nice</i> as well.

GoTravel Apr 3rd, 2005 04:38 PM

Someone gave you some bad advice.

Concierges work for tips. Please give Penny a big tip.

$5 per reservation and phone call would not be out of line.

sk84fungirl Apr 3rd, 2005 04:45 PM

Thanks for all of the quick responses. I can always count on you all for help. I thought it was strange when I saw that, thus the question.

I leave gratuity for housekeeping everyday, YOU KNOW I WILL PROPERLY THANK PENNY =D&gt;