Reload this Page >

best way to see lava on Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 01:06 PM
hulagirl2b

Will be on BI end of November. Is it possible to drive to see the lava up close?

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 01:33 PM
Sarah

depends on what the flow is doing and this changes all the time. I have over the years been able to drive fairly close. In August people told me about having to walk out about 3 miles while others in September said they were fairly close. So it all depends on Madam Pele.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 01:34 PM
xxx

It depends on where it's flowing when you're there. You can usually drive to a certain point, then you have to walk various distances depending on where it's flowing. It's usually well marked and often attended by park rangers. Here is a site with the most up-to-date info about the lava flow. http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 01:36 PM
Sarah

Did want to make it clear that it is not like you are going to be able to drive by the flow, shoot photos and continue on your journey. You will drive to a safe clear area of chain of craters road cue up with other cars and walk closer to the flow. You won't be able to pass the volcano the road is continuously burning up and destroying the road.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 01:43 PM
SG

Couldn't see much by air recently either. It changes everyday.

When I have driven in it is about a mile away from the lava that you actually view it.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 02:22 PM
traveller

I walked up to the lava, was about 3 feet away from it but the park rangers made me move away! be prepared to hike to the lava.