Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best way to purchase theater tickets in New York City! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-way-to-purchase-theater-tickets-in-new-york-city-317013/)

Avella May 14th, 2003 02:14 PM

Best way to purchase theater tickets in New York City!

Visit NYC June 13-16, definately want to see a show, thinking Hairspray, because I've read so many positive postings raving about it! Any other suggestions please let me know. I checked out applause.com's rates for dinner and a show. Prices are $169 a ticket with dinner. Is this a good price?

Thanks for any help!!!

Statia May 14th, 2003 02:52 PM

I always purchase on line with Ticketmaster and pick them up when I arrive in town. Just remember to bring along the exact same credit card that you use to purchase on line, or they won't issue your tickets.

I'm sure there are other websites to purchase on, as well, but I've had good luck with Ticketmaster.

HowardR May 14th, 2003 03:02 PM

As far as the $169 theater/dinner rate, it obviously depends on the restaurant. The theater ticket is probably $101.25. However, for a June performance of Hairspray, that may be the only way to get tickets! I would immediately call Ticketmaster (800-755-4000) to find out availability for the dates you want.
Otherwise, I would check the Playbill (www.playbill.com) and other discount offers and see what's available.

Lee4 May 14th, 2003 03:16 PM

I went to see Hairspray in March, using tickets I bought through Applause.com for dinner and the show. My cost was not as high, but I'm sure that prices go up in the summer. The restaurant we chose was Cafe Nicole (in a hotel). It was good but I would not be willing to pay their kind of prices on my own. However, that deal was the only way I could get Hairspray tickets on the dates I'd be there. Now that the Tony nominations are out, applause tickets is probably one of the few ways to get tickets (for your time frame)at this point.

caribtraveler May 14th, 2003 06:16 PM

We always book through Ticketmaster. The best way is to buy the ticket directly at the theatre but that of course only works if you live or work in NYC (we're in NJ). By doing that, you cut out the fee ticketmaster charges.
Your price sounds pretty good. The last few times we've been to the theatre, we paid around $90/person (and that's not including dinner).
Enjoy.

Silverman May 14th, 2003 07:31 PM

I've booked through playbill.com with no problems. You can sign up with them at no charge and they will email you any special offers.

mclaurie May 15th, 2003 04:57 PM

$169 sounds very expensive to me (you're paying $50-70 for dinner, probably without drinks)but as others say, it may be the only way to see Hairspray on your dates. The sense I get is the restaurants you can choose are not very popular.

djkbooks May 15th, 2003 06:11 PM

Depends on the seat locations/dinner destination. If you REALLY want to see Hairspray, that's probably your best bet at this late date.

Otherwise, sign up at Playbill, TheaterMania, BroadwayBox for great seats/prices at the "not the hottest right this minute on Broadway" , but still magnificent shows.