Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best way to Peter Lugers from Midtown (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-way-to-peter-lugers-from-midtown-676831/)

twobluecats Feb 5th, 2007 04:20 AM

Best way to Peter Lugers from Midtown

I'm trying to select a good "first night in NYC" dinner for me, hubby, mom, and dad. It's a close run between Keens (near our 37th and Lex hotel), Peter Lugers, and Churrascaria Plataforma. If we decide to go to Peter Lugers, what would be the best mode of transportation, and if it's by cab, what are we looking as cost wise? Thanks!

mclaurie Feb 5th, 2007 08:20 AM

Cab or car service. I'd guess $15 cab. You'll need a car service to go back since cabs don't tend to cruise in Brooklyn.

Chur. Plataforma is more about quantity than quality so not in the same league as the others you're considering. Luger's only takes cash. There's a place called Wolfgang's within a short walk of your hotel that's owned by one of the Luger cousins. Some say it's as good. (Others say it's uneven).

MikeT Feb 5th, 2007 09:07 AM

It's also a simple Subway ride on the J, M. or Z train to Marcy Ave., the first stop in Brooklyn.

lizziea06 Feb 5th, 2007 09:14 AM

I would skip Churrascaria. The food is just okay, and it's not really as "New York" as both Keen's or Peter Luger's. And I would definitely jump in a cab to Peter Luger's.

twobluecats Feb 5th, 2007 09:40 AM

We are from Dallas, and we get good steak here, too. With this in mind, for the experience and the food, would Keen's be a reasonable choice considering the proximity to the hotel?

mclaurie Feb 5th, 2007 10:16 AM

If you're from Dallas, why steak in NYC?? Ours is good, but I'm sure you can get just as good at home. If you're looking for a NY experience, yes to Luger's, but it may not be worth the travel and the expense to you, depending on how often you eat top steak at home.

For a NYC experience closer to your hotel, Keen's or have a look at the Strip House.

doug_stallings Feb 5th, 2007 10:17 AM

If you want a really good steak in NYC, you need to be prepared to spend about $100 per person if you want wine, perhaps a bit less if you don't drink at all, and you can spend considerably more. I've never been to Keens; it had a good reputation at one point, but I couldn't say now. I tend to prefer Smith & Wollensky at 49th and 3rd. Sparks (also in the east 40s) is also a top ticket for steak in Manhattan and has superior (but very expensive) wine, but you will wait there, even if you have a reservation. I'd second Wolfgangs, which is part-owned by a former employee of Peter Luger, which is the tops by far (but I'd say the cab ride is more like $25 or $30, not $15 from your hotel. And you have to pay in CASH at Peter Luger.

twobluecats Feb 5th, 2007 11:00 AM

Thanks so much for the thoughtful responses. You know, we may just have to fill that dinner spot with something besides steak. There are so many great cuisines highlighted in NYC that we don't necessarily have here in Dallas. Thanks again for the honest feedback--back to the drawing board for a while!

doug_stallings Feb 5th, 2007 11:35 AM

A very good nearby option would be Artisanal, which is just west of Park Avenue on 32nd St. It's got a bistro-style menu and also has excellent cheese (and a decent steak frites on the very reasonable $35 prix-fixe menu); it's also excellent for brunch. This is one place where the cheesecake is exemplary. There are a few really good neighborhood restaurants near your hotel if you don't want to spend a lot of money, including Rare (for excellent hamburgers, in the Shelburne). If you like French food, there's a nice tiny bistro on 33rd Street between Lex and 3rd called Cosette, but be sure to make a reservation. There's also an excellent Greek restaurant between 34th and 33rd on Third Avenue called Ethos. I particularly like the fish here, and if you share a fish, you can get one for usually less than $20 per person. Or if you want something unique and interesting, you could try Metrazur inside Grand Central Terminal, which is a short walk from your hotel. (I can't recommend Michael Jordan's Steakhouse, unfortunately.)

mclaurie Feb 5th, 2007 11:54 AM

I really think you made the right decision. Have something you can't get at home. I agree with Artisinal and also think Metrazur is a fun experience. They have a (somewhat limited) prix fix dinner but it doesn't have to be that pricey eating a la carte. You can't get that view looking over Grand Central at home. ;)

Asia de Cuba in the Morgan hotel, right near you too, is also something I don't think you can get at home. Artisinal and Asia de Cuba would require reservations for a Fri. night.

NeoPatrick Feb 5th, 2007 12:56 PM

We did Peter Luger's going from midtown to JFK. We took a cab there and spent about $15. But we had checked with the restaurant, and when we were finished they called us a cab which was there in about 5 minutes. I'm glad we went. Was the steak the best I ever had? no. Was it the most wonderful steakhouse I've ever been to? not at all. But it was good and it was fun.