Best way to go to Chinatown from Brooklyn?

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to go to Chinatown from Brooklyn?

My son is flying into LGA early on a Sunday morning to make a meeting (from Boston). To save money he may take the FungWah Bus home later that afternoon.

What is the best way for him to get to Canal Street, Chinatown from Brooklyn. Subway,taxi,etc?
Thanks
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 05:34 AM

If he's trying to save money then definately take the subway. Which subway and connections will depend on where he is coming from in Brooklyn.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:09 AM
QC

Almost every Subway line has a Canal Street stop. However, these stations are closest to the Fung Wah "terminal":

Grand St (B,D)
Best from Park Slope/Downtown B'klyn or Coney Island

Bowery (J,M,Z)
Best from Williamsburg/Greenpoint

Canal St (J, M, N, Q, R, W, 6)
Best from Downtown Brooklyn/B'klyn Heights, or along 4th Ave Corridor

East Broadway (F)
Best from Cobble Hill, Park Slope

You can connect or go directly to any of these stations from anywhere in Brooklyn. Traffic is often intense on the Manhattan Bridge in the afteroon, Subway is STRONGLY recommended.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Where in Brooklyn? Or do you mean Queens, where LGA is located?
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:05 AM
jenifer

If he's not far from the bridge for his meeting, he could walk across to the Manhattan side, and Canal Street is not too far from there. Certainly the cheapest route, though not the fastest, but it is a nice walk - many tourists do it just for the walk itself!

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:52 AM

I live in Brooklyn, so it's really a matter of where in Brooklyn he's going to be what the fastest route is. Also I'm guessing he will be taking a cab from LGA to Brooklyn. Considering traffic on any of the bridges going between Brooklyn & Manhattan is usually a nightmare, subway is the fastest (and cheapest) option.

BTW, the J train as QC states, does stop at Canal, but crosses Williamsburg in Brooklyn, not Brooklyn Heights, and the 6 train doesn't go into Brooklyn at all.

Chances are his meeting will more than likely be in Downtown Brooklyn, from which he can take a multitude of trains, either from Atlantic - Pacific Streets, Dekalb Ave., High Street or other stops. For the best options, consult the NYC subway website at www.mta.info, or if you let me know the exact location of the meeting, I can give you the best directions.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

My son's meeting in Brooklyn is near Clinton and Atlantic.So is walking acorss the bridge to get to Canal street a good idea or should he take the subway?

I am assuming the best way for him to get from LGA to Brooklyn is cab.
Does anyone know if it makes any difference what airline shuttle he takes from Boston? I was just planning on booking the one with the best 1 way fare or an airline he has FF miles with. How long on a Sunday morning would you say a cab ride from LGA to Clinton St. takes?
Thanks so much for your help.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Atlantic crosses a Clinton Street and a Clinton Avenue!

If it's Clinton Street, he can walk one block east to Court Street & then a few blocks north to Joralemon or Montague Streets for the M, R, 4 & 5 trains to Canal Street. (Station will be Borough Hall on the 4 & 5 and Court Street on the M & R)

A cab from LGA to Clinton and Atlantic shouldn't take more than 25-30 minutes on a Sunday morning.

As for the airfare, I'm showing $75 on American, Delta, US Airways and United, so I would just go with the one with the schedule and FF miles he needs.

Hope this helps!