Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best way to get from NYC to Philly? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-way-to-get-from-nyc-to-philly-944663/)

gbs Jul 28th, 2012 03:26 PM

Best way to get from NYC to Philly?

Two of us will need to get from New York City to Philadelphia on a Saturday. I will rent a car once I get to Philly and will be flying out of Philadephia after a couple of days. What are my best options to get there? Thanks for any help....

nytraveler Jul 28th, 2012 03:57 PM

I would take Amtrak since I think train is more comfortable but you can probably get a Bolt bus or similar for lower cost. Check what prices you can get versus advance purchase fares for Amtrak.

nelsonian Jul 28th, 2012 03:58 PM

I am not from NYC but I would research the Bolt bus, and Amtrak.

DebitNM Jul 28th, 2012 04:12 PM

Megabus fates can be really low, the further out you book.

PaulRabe Jul 28th, 2012 05:44 PM

Greyhound Express goes direct, non-stop from an indoor facility to an indoor facility. Specify your exact departure time and day a week in advance, and the one-way cost on a Saturday can be as low as $8. One week from now, for instance, the cost is $12-$15, for any of the seven departure times. Onboard wi-fi and 120 outlets are free for all passengers, and you can check luggage. None of the Amtrak fares for a week from today are less than $50, and there is no checked luggage.

sf7307 Jul 28th, 2012 05:45 PM

There's also New Jersey Transit (train, but it's a commuter train - not as comfortable as Amtrak but orders of magnitude less expensive). Depends what you mean by "best" - fastest, cheapest, most comfortable?

Aduchamp1 Jul 28th, 2012 06:44 PM

Megabus fates can be really low, the further out you book

A most interesting typo.
____

We are going down to Philly next Saturday by bus as an Obama volunteer. It is either $10 a person or free. I do not know how to explain your luggage, but ring a few doorbells and steal away.

gbs Jul 28th, 2012 09:08 PM

Thanks for all your replies! I knew I could get some good advice here. I will check out all the options and let you know how it all worked out. Our trip isn't for a month, just trying to get my ducks in a row...Thanks again.

Dukey1 Jul 29th, 2012 03:38 AM

You do not need to check luggage if you use Amtrak; there is PLENTY of luggage storage in each coach. Whereas make certain of the luggage restrictions on either Bolt or Megabus; they will undoubtedly be cheaper than using Amtrak but find out where they pick you up and let you off which can sometimes be less than in the most convenient places.

POMAH Jul 29th, 2012 10:39 AM

I dont get all the advice here. Do what most people do, go to the Port Authority, buy discount tickets for 2, you save
%15. However, you have to leave and return together.

BTW, why are you flying out of Philly, but not into it?

Birdie Jul 29th, 2012 01:04 PM

The trip from Penn Station NYC to 30th St station Phila on NJ transit is very easy even though you have to transfer at Princeton Junction. There is plenty of space for luggage on the luggage racks.

I'm wondering why you are renting a car on arrival in Phila. You won't need one to get around the city.

doug_stallings Jul 29th, 2012 01:52 PM

If you take NJ Transit, you do not transfer to SEPTA at Princeton Junction. You transfer in Trenton. A big difference. If the posters get out at Princeton hoping to get onto a Pennsylvania commuter train, they will be very disappointed. That's the cheapest train option, and I generally choose train over Boltbus or Megabus because its easier and faster, though not cheaper. But I prefer to bypass the traffic on the NJ Turnpike.

The fastest but most expensive way is by Amtrak.

Birdie Jul 29th, 2012 02:01 PM

Thanks, Doug. I was remembering incorrectly. I should have checked before I posted. It is a very easy transfer in Trenton.