Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best way to get from JFK to Yale University in New Haven? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-way-to-get-from-jfk-to-yale-university-in-new-haven-356634/)

Jack Sep 9th, 2003 11:12 AM

Best way to get from JFK to Yale University in New Haven?

Flying into JFK. What is the best way to get to Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut?

carbogilligan Sep 9th, 2003 11:22 AM

Fastest way would be to rent a car.
If that is not an option, there is a shuttle service that runs between all NY airports and Connecticut. Look for the CT Limo transportation desks near baggage claim. $51 one-way. Go to www.ctlimo.com for more info.
Good luck!
Carole

LoisL Sep 9th, 2003 02:01 PM

Another option would be to take the train. I would imagine you'd need to get to Grand Central from the airport first.

carbogilligan Sep 9th, 2003 02:46 PM

There are buses that run regularly from JFK to midtown Grand Central Station. You could then catch a train to New Haven as previously suggested.
Carole

rb_travelerxATyahoo Sep 9th, 2003 03:13 PM

Use the New York Airport Express Bus ... I don't have the URL handy now, but click on my name and you'll find I've recently posted it under a jfk to NY/Manhattan thread.

logandog Sep 9th, 2003 03:16 PM

Good SAT scores and a 4.0 GPA.

KenCT Sep 9th, 2003 04:21 PM

Logandog: ....a big-bucks alumnus as a parent doesn't hurt either. Ba dum bum!

I travel between New Haven and JFK several times a year. Each of the the transport methods listed above has its positives and negatives.

If you're traveling with minimal luggage, it certainly is feasible to take an express bus, or even the bus-subway, into Manhattan, then take Metro-North from Grand Central to New Haven. But if you have luggage and/or children, or both, it's a shelp.

I'd go with the recomendations of the first poster and take CT Limo. They are not actually limos, by the way, as some people expect, most often it's a bus, sometimes one those small shuttle vans. Although the trip can seem interminable, with many stops along the way, the drivers certainly know their way around traffic jams and once you give the driver your luggage, you have your life to yourself until you arrive.

rayan Jul 5th, 2010 04:48 PM

I think the CT limo is cheap, but you'll be spending Hours just waiting until they pick up all the passengers either from different terminals in JFK or from different airport (LGA), another solution is to use a limo service with private cars, it will take you about 1H30Min to get to New Haven after a long day traveling, it's more expensive than CT limo but it's worth each dollar you spend. Try silver star limo,CT Limousine Service Visit www.silverstarlivery.com
they are affordable and have a good reputation.

nytraveler Jul 5th, 2010 05:30 PM

A car service direct from JFK to Yale would be the most convenient but will set you back well over $100. Try Dial7 or Carmel web sites to see if they have any discounts and get a price. This isn't a bad choice for 2/3 people.

Least expensive for one person is airport bus to Grand Central and then train to New Haven and cab to Yale. And this won;t take any longer than the group car service - but if you have a lot ofluggage will be a pain.

sf7307 Jul 5th, 2010 06:09 PM

I'm pretty sure the train from NYC to New Haven is $28.00, so if you do have more than one person, consider the car service.

doug_stallings Jul 5th, 2010 06:11 PM

This thread is seven years old. Let's allow it to die.

sf7307 Jul 5th, 2010 06:13 PM

Doug, thanks - I had no idea until you posted!

Aduchamp1 Jul 5th, 2010 07:22 PM

So this would be for post-graduate work.