Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Best way to get from Brooklyn to Statue City Cruises in NJ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/best-way-to-get-from-brooklyn-to-statue-city-cruises-in-nj-1713561/)

RSantangelo Mar 12th, 2023 10:56 AM

Best way to get from Brooklyn to Statue City Cruises in NJ?

We are staying near Carroll Park in Brooklyn and want to get to the Statue of Liberty via Statue City Cruises in New Jersey. This is the only way to get inside the Pedestal at this date. NY Tix are sold out unless we just go and don't enter the pedestal. Any advice on how to get to NJ by subway from Brooklyn? We are looking for an economical way & found a taxi would be too expensive. Thanks!

Fra_Diavolo Mar 12th, 2023 02:25 PM

The NYC subway does not run to New Jersey, but you can connect to the PATH system at the World Trade Center or 33rd Street. PATH can take you to Hoboken or Exchange Place, from where you can catch the Hudson-Bergen light rail to Liberty State Park. Personally this seems a bit too much trouble. I think you would find the pedestal at the SoL less than worth the effort. I would just continue on to Ellis Island, which I found extremely interesting. This would allow you to take the ferry from Manhattan, saving a lot of travel time.

J62 Mar 13th, 2023 05:48 AM

I agree. Not worth the trouble, especially dragging 2 teenagers on this extended excursion.... Getting to NJ and back will tag on an extra 2 hours of commuting time that can be better spent elsewhere.

nycguy10002 Mar 13th, 2023 09:28 AM

Carroll Park area is not a bad area to stay. The nearest subway is the Carroll St station on the F, G lines. If you are going to do the rather extensive route of subway, then PATH and then Light Rail to Liberty State Park, take a Manhattan bound F train to the Jay St-MetroTech station, transfer across the platform to the A or C train, and take either to the Fulton St station. At Fulton St use stairs about mid platform and go up to the mezzanine and exit the subway. Follow the signs to the passageway to the World Trade Center and the Oculous. Once in the Oculous the PATH trains are on the opposite side. Take any PATH train to Exchange Place and exit to the street there. The Light Rail station is about a short block away.
Please note that the subway, PATH and Light Rail are separate systems and each has its own fare.

After all that I have to agree that the whole trip just to get into the pedestal is not going to worth all the time and effort that will be needed. You'd be worn out before you get there.

But whatever you decide, enjoy your stay in NYC.

RSantangelo Mar 18th, 2023 07:46 AM

Thank you for the directions. I agree that it would be too much travel time and trouble to get there via NJ. The Staten Island Ferry looks to be the best choice for us. Although I wanted to be able to be enterprising enough to find a way to get inside the statue above all odds, my Family would not be very happy with me! If I were by myself, I'd do it. But heck, to get to school I used to walk through 10 miles of snow and sleet and uphill both ways! Ha!

nycguy10002 Mar 18th, 2023 11:32 AM

The SI Ferry is always a good idea. A word of caution for yourself and others - the Staten Island Ferry is FREE. There have been numerous reports of "enterprising persons" a/k/a scam artists stopping people before they enter the Ferry terminal and trying to sell them tickets for the SI Ferry. The NYPD has been effective in catching these people but on occasion a few might slip by. Also there have been reports of similar persons selling tickets to the Statue Of Liberty/Ellis Island - don't fall for it.

To get to the SI Ferry Terminal from Brooklyn (where you are staying) - take the F train to the Jay Street-MetroTech station but instead of transferring to the A or C , use the stairs in the middle of the platform and transfer to the R train. Take a Manhattan bound R train to the Whitehall St/South Ferry station, at Whitehall St/South Ferry use the stairs toward the back of the station. When you get up to the street the SI Ferry Terminal will be right in from of you.

RSantangelo Mar 29th, 2023 06:24 PM

Thank you so much for the directions and advice. I usually counter those that are trying to sell me tickets to something free by offering to sell them the Brooklyn Bridge for a very low price! Ha!

Thanks again!