Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best way to get from Beale Street to Graceland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (21-year-old daughter and self) have an overnight in Memphis planned (on our way back to Kansas City from Nashville). I got a great rate at The Peabody and need help getting from there to Graceland. I've read so much about the unsafe areas of Memphis, high crime rate, etc. that it has me a litte spooked (and that's unusual for me). Should we just drive there and back? How about the Sun Studios shuttle?

Also we will be there on St. Patrick's Day night...is that a big night on Beale Street or just same old same old? Am trying to be prudent, but not paranoid so would appreciate whatever you can tell me. Thanks!
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM

If you don't mind another stop or two, you can take the shuttle to Graceland. I'm not personally familiar with it, but there's LOTS of information about the shuttle on tripadvisor.com. If you're not interested in the other stops, it would probably be much easier to just drive there.

As for safety, the area around Graceland (but not including Graceland itself or Heartbreak Hotel, or the nearby Day's Inn) is not safe, so you don't want to be wandering around.

Downtown, on the other hand, is very safe. The only problem there is the occasional panhandler - just don't acknowledge them and keep walking when you're approached or asked for money.

I don't think we've been there on St. Pat's so I'm not sure how busy it'll be. Generally speaking, Beale Street (which is only a few blocks long) is very safe in the early evening, but late evening - say after 1 a.m. - it attracts a more hip hop crown and I wouldn't necessarily want to be there. It's probably safe enough but we've watched street crowds late, late at night from a balcony at the Hampton Inn on Beale Street and even though it's fun to watch from a distance, I don't think I'd want to be there.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 09:29 PM

I live in Memphis and getting to Graceland by car is pretty easy. The Peabody ( You will love it ) is on Union Ave. You can get to the expressway from Union. Take 240 south to the Brooks Road Exit. Graceland will be down on the left. Pick up a brochure at the Hotel and ask the Concierge if you have more questions and for specific directions. I'm sure they could give you a map. As with any diverse city, you must be careful. Downtown is pretty safe and if you have time for breakfast or lunch, I suggest the Arcade. The interior hasn't changed in many years and still has an old time dinner feel but the food is great. You can ride the Trolley there. It is a block or two from the Civil Rights Museum and the Hotel where MArtin Luther King was shot. It's pretty impressive and eye opening. Near the Fed Ex Forum, is the Memphis Rock and Soul Museum. Another great Attraction. I have never been to Sun Studios.
Beale Street is always an active place and quite fun if you go to listen to some music and eat early dinner. I cannot answer the St. PAts question either. Have fun. Don't be paranoid, but be careful as you would be in any place with a diverse group of people. You can walk there from the Hotel.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 10:02 PM

Best way to get from Beale Street to Graceland:

Start with your basic twelve bar blues and a rich music tradition. Then, pick up the tempo, add a rich baritone voice, some good dance moves and a good amount of personal charisma....

Oh, wait, this wasn't in the lounge:0
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 05:53 AM

Call the concierge at the Peabody. I would bet they could take you there.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 06:47 AM

I can't answer your specific questions any better, but did want to reassure you a little! The touristy areas of Memphis are fine; just use common sense as you would in any city. (I'm not sure if St Patrick's is particularly crazy or not, but my guess is that if the Memphis residents don't know about wild parties every year, I would think it's not too bad.) It's true that you don't want to get lost in some parts of Memphis, so if you're worried about it and there's a shuttle available, it might be worth checking into. But when you're downtown, there's no reason to be particularly worried. Just be smart as you would anywhere.

Also second the Civil Rights Museum - it's excellent.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to thank jent and lovelucy for their reassuring information...it is appreciated! I am guessing there is plenty of parking at Graceland if we drive?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:33 PM

How does one get to Graceland from Beale Street via public transportation?