Best way to Dupont Circle from Baltimore

Jan 28th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Best way to Dupont Circle from Baltimore

We just booked a last minute trip to DC and got the best airfare from Hartford on Southwest to Baltimore. We made reservations at the Radisson Barcelo (thanks to other threads on this site). Now, we need to find the best way to get us into DC from Baltimore. Is there an easy train to take from the airport? What about shuttles? And, I guess, as a last resort taxis? We will be arriving about 4:00 on Wed and leaving about 5:00 on Sunday. Thanks for your help!
Jan 28th, 2004, 12:40 PM

During the week, getting from BWI airport to downtown DC is cheap and simple. Upon leaving the airport, catch the free shuttle to the Amtrak/Marc station. Buy a MARC (NOT Amtrak) ticket to Union Station DC, which is about $5.00. At Union Station, just walk down to the Metro, and catch a train to the Dupont Circle stop.
Coming back will be more expensive, since the MARC doen't run on weekends. You can reserve a SuperShuttle limo-van from your hotel to BWI for about $50 for two, or take the metro back to Union Station and catch the Amtrack back to the BWI train stop for about $16 each.
Jan 28th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Find the MARC schedules

http://www.mtamaryland.com/schedules..._Penn_Line.pdf

(Trains heading south at 5:08, 5:41 & 6:39) The Redline you'd board will be the "SHADY GROVE" bound train, not Glenmont.

The Barcelo is an excellent choice.

There's another way back, less expensive than the shuttle, but not good if you're carrying a lot of luggage/packages. Take the Red Line (towards Glenmont) back to Gallery Place/Chinatown station ... get a bus transfer pass from the dispenser located after the turnstile at Dupont (or get one at any station EXCEPT Greenbelt). Take the GREEN line to Greenbelt. Catch the B30 express Metrobus (non-stop) to BWI. The fare will be $3.45 (or an extra $.85 if you don't get a transfer pass) Check http://rideguide.wmata.com/ for directions, schedules & prices. I used "Dupont Circle" and "BWI" as my start & finish. BTW, I think the full price Amtrak COACH is $25 from UnionSta to BWI, and those coaches get crowded.

You could reverse the above bus/Metro route to get to DC, but I'd favor the MARC train.
Feb 1st, 2004, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice... It's very helpful. We leave on Wednesday, we're very excited!

Search this Thread